Pedal Sizes: 15mm or 9/16"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I assumed pedals are all the same size, but then I got confused.

Looking on Amazon, it tends to suggest these M520 pedals are 9/16": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Speed-Sided-Mechanism-Pedals/dp/B00HO31ZSW (it's the only size Amazon stock and in all three colours, there is also a "0" and "One Size" option).

But all the pedal wrenches I see are 15mm. 15mm isn't 9/16"?

My bike is a 2014 Giant Escape hybrid, what size wrench will I need to remove the pedals?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not being funny, but you can measure the (wrench) size if you actually have the pedal - it is what it is - a metric size being the most likely

9/16 is probably referring to the thread size (20 threads per inch) - unfortunately fairly close to 14mm x 1.25mm - which fits loosely in 9/16 - get it wrong and you'll likely bugger up the cranks. Again needs to be measured properly - but obviously needs slightly more expertise than just checking a spanner size. 9/16 is however much more likely in my (somewhat limited) experience

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks. Of course I have my existing pedal, but not the new one.

When I started reading - things started coming up about how old bikes used to be 15 or 9/16 and I just got lost in at all.:blush:

What is the advantage of a £10 pedal wrench to a £2 15mm spanner with a long handle?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Your spanner needs to be thin enough to fit - and be 15mm. A proper pedal spanner will be thin - and long handled, but if your normal spanner is thin enough - then fine. I have never owned a pedal spanner per se - but my normal spanners are all top quality.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks again. I don't have any tools, but I need to do some basic tasks like this myself.

Halfords have a Park wrench for £10. I also notice Halfords have a tool kit, which is £30 if bought with a can of GT85 (incl the can) or £35 if not.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
M520 pedals and as above will be a 15mm spanner. You can usually get away with a normal spanner but the specific pedal ones are longer and thinner and do make the job easier.

Colin S

Über Member
Most pedals also take a hex key in the axle. You can easily manage with a hex wrench if you already have one. I think they are 6mm.

C

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
M520 pedals and as above will be a 15mm spanner. You can usually get away with a normal spanner but the specific pedal ones are longer and thinner and do make the job easier.
I use a standard 15mm AF open spanner on my M520s. It's a halfway decent brand (Britool) so it may be a bit thinner than cheaper imports. It's 5.6mm thick at the "business end". If you have access to a grinding wheel or angle grinder you could always butcher a Poundland cheapie to make it thinner.

Top Bottom