Pedal spindles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Following on from my chainwheel question below, I tried to move my pedals to a new set of cranks only to find they are seized up and I won't be near my main tools for some time. I had the bright idea of dismantling the existing pedals (cheap and cheerful Aldi/Lidl SPD/flat twin sided things) and rebuilding them onto the spindles from and old set I have lying around. Turns out that the spare set have spindles about 8cm long (+1cm for the threads) whereas my existing spindles are 9cm long (+ thread)!!'
Before I go out and buy a cheap set of pedals to cannibalise does anyone know if there's any standard to these lengths? T' interweb tells me all about diameters and thread pitches but sod all about lengths!

weareHKR

No replies after 3 hrs is most unusual! 🤔
I start by saying I don't know... ^_^ I think there are some different spindle lengths, it may be if some people have issues with knees knocking together? the longer spindle may be better for them?
That answer may be completely worng tho... :hello:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Reasons why you haven't had an answer - firstly, there are so many different makes/models of pedals out there so the only way you'll get a match is prob buying the same make/model of pedal - and secondly, not many people bother 'rebuilding' cheap pedals - once they are knackered they chuck them. Good luck...

Top Bottom