Pedal thread problems - help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppers

Hi, I have just bought an Orbea H60 Avant which has Shimano Claris pedal cranks and I got a pair of Look KEO Classic 3 pedals to replace the basic original ones that came with the bike.

The right pedal went straight on no problems - with the thread working as ‘righty tighty’. However, on the left pedal - which I think should be ‘lefty tighty’ - the pedal will not screw on.

I dug out the original pedals that came with the bike and the original pedal appears to screw on as ‘lefty tighty’. When I looked at the threads on the Look pedal and the original pedal they appear to be opposite. So I think the left Look pedal is threaded to be ‘righty tighty’.

I am now at a bit of a loss on how to get the pedal on. Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Steppers

midlife

Guru
Somebody sold you 2 right side pedals ? Is there an L or R stamped on the new pedals somewhere ?

OP
OP
S

Steppers

Thanks. I was beginning to fear that - I will look to see if they do indicate a left or right. Will let you know!

OP
OP
S

Steppers

Just checked. They are definitely a correct pair of pedals in as much as the are opposites - just the thread appears to be wrong.

gbb

Legendary Member
Take the pedal that won't go on, inspect the threads very carefully, particually the first thread. If it's damaged in any way, been dropped perhaps and deformed the thread, it won't start. Highly unlikely but only takes a few seconds to check.

OP
OP
S

Steppers

Thanks All. Have closely looked and the thread is definitely one that screws in clockwise - so I think the wrong axle has been put on.

Very annoying - especially as they were thrown in as a ‘sorry’ after the company failed to deliver the bike when they said they would.

Will see what they come back with.

Thanks again.

Rgds

Steppers

Top Bottom