Pedals disconnected from the back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,
I'm probably going to look a complete idiot by making this thread, but I've only been riding a roadie for about a month now and I've covered 229 miles in 17 rides. The racing bike is second hand, having been given to me by a family member.

Whilst out today attempting my longest ride of 40+ miles, I was going downhill when I suddenly found that my pedals were disconnected from the back wheel. Like the novice I am I jumped up onto the grass banking of the busy rode presuming it was the chain, but after about 30 minutes of messing around taking the wheel off, putting it all back on nothing seemed to work. The pedals and gears seem fine, but the back wheel seems almost disconnected from the rest as it will only spin if I push it.

I've read a little advice on the web about maybe lubing up part of the bike, but as I'm such a newb to all of this I have no idea what I'm looking for? I did try water on the sprocket today. The bike probably could do with a little maintenance so maybe that's the issue but could it be something else?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The pedals and chain spin but the wheel does not ? Sounds like a freehub problem

OP
OP
The Gamble

The Gamble

Regular
Am I right in thinking that a hub problem may result in me needing a new wheel? Just feeling slightly annoyed as these wheels are fairly old, but their carbon design isn't manufactured anymore! Not happy right now haha, cycling really is a pricey sport!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Might be able to replace just the freehub, or a new hub and rebuild the rim onto the new hub (might work out cheaper than buying just the freehub body, or so I have heard).

Edwards80

Über Member
Could just be the pawls in the freehub being gummed up. It happened to me at the start of the year. I took it back to the bike shop and they replaced it but it's just a case of cleaning it out most of the time apparently.

Was told it was a rare problem.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Are they the Giant composite ones from the 90's? If so you need to get the freehub off ( usually a hex key at each end of the axle and undo as normal) and see what is causing the pawls to malfunction. May be muck,may be a busted spring.

You won't get spares but it might be an easy fix.

Top Bottom