Pedals for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any shimano double sided pedal - i use XT on all my bikes and one of the new generation trekking style shoes - My feet are very broad and a bit distorted but i am ableto wear northwave as a day to day shoe - Northwave mission or the Gran Canari GTX depending on the time of year and destination - for southern italy this year I will proabably take my Lizard as they are much cooler

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I would say definitely the normal on one side, spd on the other. They are particularly good for touring because in busy towns where you might be stopping and starting all the time, the normal side is best and once you are on the open road again you can clip in.

coopman

I got a set of M324's and find them pretty good, you sort of just get into the hang of flipping them the right way. Others may confirm this, but I think the bearings on them are not as easy to service as other pedals.
All in all, I give them a thumbs up.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hmmm... I'm still quite tempted by the resin-bodied DX M647s, they're double sided, so no need to flip, look potentially still usable with ordinary shoes for shortish rides (are they in reality?), and the reviews suggest they're high quality pedals, if a little on the heavy side (568g). Though I guess most of this could be said about the cheaper (and slightly lighter at 472g) M424s, though.

oxford_guy said:
Hmmm... I'm still quite tempted by the resin-bodied DX M647s, they're double sided, so no need to flip, look potentially still usable with ordinary shoes for shortish rides (are they in reality?), and the reviews suggest they're high quality pedals, if a little on the heavy side (568g). Though I guess most of this could be said about the cheaper (and slightly lighter at 472g) M424s, though.

must depend on how short and how long you can balance flat shoes on the clamps. remember, if the cleats are inset (as spd) then the pedal clamps need to stick up to engage. That's why the second side is flat.

andym

Über Member
oxford_guy said:

If you've got the money give it a punt. There comes a point when you have to work out for yourself what works for you and what doesn't work. As you can see from this thread people successfully use both types of pedal - there's no 'right' or 'wrong' choice. If you don't get on with them you can always eBay them.

Andym - the voice of reason as always - while ive always used double sided its taken me years to find the right shoes and spring tension to go with them

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Well, in the end I went for the Shimano A530 SPD Single Sided (well, actually flat one side, clipped the other) Touring Pedals, which seemed to suit me well. Thanks for the tips and comments

NerfMiester

I have the A530 and they are great, do what you want them to do. You wouldn't want to go LE-JoG without the SPD shoes, but you knew that.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
NerfMiester said:
I have the A530 and they are great, do what you want them to do. You wouldn't want to go LE-JoG without the SPD shoes, but you knew that.

I also picked up a pair of Shimano MT41 SPD Shoes, which see, dead comfy :bravo:

Top Bottom