Pedals for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I need to get some pedals for the new touring bike (a Cheviot SE) I'm getting fitted for this weekend, I'm not keen on the clips and straps approach, but would be interested in trying out some SPD-type pedals, but ideally would like pedals that would give me the option of cycling (for short-ish distances anyway) with ordinary shoes.

What would people recommend for touring (and commuting)? Some of the MTB-type pedals look like they might be appropriate, but that may be my ignorance. Pedals I've been looking at are:

Shimano DX M647 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_DX_M647_Pedals/5360014723/ )

Shimano M424 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_M424_SPD_Pedals/4000000481/ )

Though am not sure the above two are really meant to be used with normal shoes, where as these have a flat and an SPD side (though that could just be annoying...):

Shimano A530 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_A530_SPD_Single_Sided_Touring_Pedals/5360031862/ )

and

Shimano M324 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_M324_Combination_Pedals/4000000039/ )

What are people's thoughts? An alternative I guess would be to get some flat pedals for casual use and swap to SPD pedals for longer rides. Thanks

I didn't think my Shimanos were 324s but same functionality. I have no problems. Seem the best compromise for me - normal work shoes for short commute or shopping trips, bike shoes and cleats for 'proper' rides.

I have the A520 on my road bike, single sided SPD using same shoes. Thought of the A530 but they looked a bit clumsy IMO.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I use double side shimano spds and some Nike walkable grandfondo roadshoes on tour. The single side spd pedals seem like a PITA to me...with these shoes I can ride or walk comfortably and they dont look all that stupid either.

andym

Über Member
The 424s work fine with ordinary shoes. They're also reasonably light. I don't know what you get for the extra £30 for the DXes.

The problem with single-sided pedals is that you always end up with the side you don't want on top - not necessarily a problem on a tourer but definitely a pain pulling a way from traffic lights.

CycleTourer

Veteran
We have used the Shimano M324 for several years on our touring bikes and they work well, giving us the option of using SPD's and normal shoes.

They came in to their own in Iceland this year as we did a lot on very rough gravel roads and there were times on tricky steep sections where we needed to put a foot down quickly so we rode with our feet on the non SPD side and clipped in when we wanted to on the flat parts and tarmac roads.

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for the 324s - I have several pairs and they are great

The problem with single-sided pedals is that you always end up with the side you don't want on top - not necessarily a problem on a tourer but definitely a pain pulling a way from traffic lights
I don't find this at all - somehow my foot finds the right side without a problem

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
I don't find this at all - somehow my foot finds the right side without a problem

And when you drop a slice of toast and marmalade it always falls with the marmalade upwards? I guess some people are just born lucky. ;)

checked at lunch time and mine are 324s - most suitable for my needs.

Don't have a problem getting the right side - normally they sit with the spd upwards ready for cycle shoes. I just flip them when wearing "dress" shoes.

If I never went to work and/or had a longer commute then I may not have bothered. CBA getting in to bike gear just to go and get a magazine.

I started cycling on fixed about 47 years ago so have never really had a problem flipping pedals while moving.

jay clock

Massive member
And when you drop a slice of toast and marmalade it always falls with the marmalade upwards? I guess some people are just born lucky. ;)
Yep! In fact what happens is that the pedal does fall SPD side up, and I think the rear edge slightly higher than the front edge. My brain knows that when in SPD shoes I just click in, but when in non SPD shoes I flip it over first. Just seems to happen!

meic

Likewise I tour and Audax with the A520s. Lightweight and give support across the foot while riding on the (only) cleat side.

I use the 424s on my town/shopping bike but I dont live close to town so it is worth putting on cycling shoes for the journey. The 424s claim to be rideable with ordinary shoes. Rideable they are.....just!

On rare occasions I get out the old MKS with half clips.

Top Bottom