Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

I have got a Carrera Vulcan Hardtail MTB, and wondering how to take the pedals off, as i want to get a different colour.
Also how do you take off the handle bar grips, to swap with different colour?
I have watched Matt Jones, and Sam Pilgrim videos, and have inspired myself to doing stuff like that.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Pedals: How odd, I just changed two sets of pedals on my daughter's bikes an hour ago!

Go get a spanner, ideally a pedal spanner but any spanner of the correct size will do really.

Pedals are side specific, and threads go in opposite directions so to remove them:

Go to your right pedal (as you look down at it) and turn its spindle anti-clockwise with the spanner. Use the bike and crank as a lever, play with the angle of the cranks until you get maximum leverage, and it'll undo.
Now go round the other side and turn the left pedal spindle clockwise. Again, use leverage, and undo that.

To refit, ensure the right pedal is going on the right side. Screw them in by hand, tighten a bit with the spanner.

Park tools do a good video demonstrating leverage technique.

View: https://youtu.be/LFbSBG7jMzY

vickster

Legendary Member
Handlebar grips usually slide on and off once you've undone the Allen bolts holding the collar at the stem end tight
Take a close up photo and post. There's probably a vid on YouTube too

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Pedals: How odd, I just changed two sets of pedals on my daughter's bikes an hour ago!

Go get a spanner, ideally a pedal spanner but any spanner of the correct size will do really.

Pedals are side specific, and threads go in opposite directions so to remove them:

Go to your right pedal (as you look down at it) and turn its spindle anti-clockwise with the spanner. Use the bike and crank as a lever, play with the angle of the cranks until you get maximum leverage, and it'll undo.
Now go round the other side and turn the left pedal spindle clockwise. Again, use leverage, and undo that.

To refit, ensure the right pedal is going on the right side. Screw them in by hand, tighten a bit with the spanner.

Park tools do a good video demonstrating leverage technique.

View: https://youtu.be/LFbSBG7jMzY

thats very complacated, plz could u post a close up picture. And what is the pedal spindle?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
thats very complacated, plz could u post a close up picture. And what is the pedal spindle?

20200205_213110.jpg

Here is a pedal spanner on a pedal spindle, I hope that helps.

Did you watch the Park Tools video I posted? It's all in there.

Gunk

Guru
Most pedals also have a facility for and Allen key on the inner face. My own method is to use an Allen key bit with a half inch socket set breaker bar, you get loads more leverage and it’s a tighter fit than a pedal spanner.

Gunk

Guru
To remove the grips use an electrical screwdriver to prise them away from the handlebars, spray some WD40 in to the grip and they’ll slide off.

To fit new ones spray some hair spray into the grips, this will help slide them on, the hairspray then dries holding them in place. Hope this helps.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The grips are often ‘lock on’ so do as Vickster says above, undo the Allan key and slide off. I would recommend replacing with another set of lock on as they are so much easier to get on and off.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

The grips are often ‘lock on’ so do as Vickster says above, undo the Allan key and slide off. I would recommend replacing with another set of lock on as they are so much easier to get on and off.

View attachment 503425
i dont think mine are lock on though:sad:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Most pedals also have a facility for an Allen key on the inner face [end of the pedal axle]. My own method is to use an Allen key bit with a half inch socket set breaker bar, you get loads more leverage and it’s a tighter fit than a pedal spanner.
Using a pedal spanner is to be preferred to using the allen key option. The 'fit' may be tighter but the key/socket interface is not as good. Out on the road, you may have an allen key - but you won't have a pedal spanner (or a half-inch socket breaker bar). If (out on the road) the pedal won't come off, additional leverage can be achieved by wrapping the end of the allen key and sliding one's removed (metal) seatpost.
A simple allen key is fine for screwing pedals on: the moment one can effect will be plenty tight enough.
Recommend a bit of grease on the pedal axle threads when fitting, to ease subsequent removal in case the OP wants to change pedal colour again.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

The best way to make sure you undo the pedals in the correct direction is to remember to turn the spanner towards the back of the bike on both sides.

When removing the grips you'll find just plain water will work too.
ive done the grips, but i tried the pedals, and they were so stiff, and didnt move an inch. Anyone know how to make it so its not so stiff, or get it off?

Top Bottom