Pedals?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I didn't expect it, it's just weird, the surface of the (platform) pedals was as large as mine, yet they're for kids.
Certainly narrower thread, likely shorter cranks yet the pedals same size as adult. Maybe those I have are't representative?

Oh you're not the only one, my daughter's last bike had BMX style pedals (on a 20 inch wheel bike) and they looked standard / adult size. I bought some replacements after one was damaged and hey presto, they were the wrong sized thread! Before that I didn't know either.

tyred

Legendary Member
Any bike with the American standard one piece crank design will have 1/2" pedal thread as opposed to 9/16" threads on three-piece cranks. It's usually children's bikes or BMX which have one piece cranks but plenty of early MTBs had them too, as well as other American-made adult bikes but you won't find many of those in Europe.

Also be aware that old French bikes use the French standard of 14mm pedal threads and if you happen to have a vintage French bike, good luck trying to find replacement pedals for it if you need them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Are the Wellgo pedals you have not serviceable? Looks like there is a plastic cover on the free end of the spindle - prise that out and see if there's anything to undo. If you're planning on junking them anyway what's to lose? You may find that a clean, grease and maybe new ball bearings will revitalise them.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Are the Wellgo pedals you have not serviceable? Looks like there is a plastic cover on the free end of the spindle - prise that out and see if there's anything to undo. If you're planning on junking them anyway what's to lose? You may find that a clean, grease and maybe new ball bearings will revitalise them.

There's nothing to undo under the plastic end caps, looks like they are pressed together in the factory. I was expecting a nut underneath but nowt there!.

I need bike for work so couldn't destroy these pedals while waiting for the new set to arrive.

Was hoping for a strip/ clean/ grease and rebuild but not to be..

figbat

Slippery scientist
Fair enough, worth a look. I have the v2 version of the pedals you have ordered - one thing you'll notice is the prominent studs on the surface - depending on your shoes these will either be comfortingly grippy or annoyingly irritating; I use 5-Ten shoes designed for this type of pedal which grip them very well... maybe sometimes a little too well as a small reposition of the foot is sometimes a bit tricky to achieve.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Fair enough, worth a look. I have the v2 version of the pedals you have ordered - one thing you'll notice is the prominent studs on the surface - depending on your shoes these will either be comfortingly grippy or annoyingly irritating; I use 5-Ten shoes designed for this type of pedal which grip them very well... maybe sometimes a little too well as a small reposition of the foot is sometimes a bit tricky to achieve.

I'm normally in safety trainers with steel insole so probably won't notice much, I do like to wiggle my feet on the pedals so that might be a bit irritating!.

Will see how I get on, just looked like a nice no-nonsense pedals!. Notice they have a grease hole/ fitting, good idea!.

Top Bottom