Pedancy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I'e been told repeatedly that I'm prone to this but I've just heard a fella on the Coast series say with relish and emphasis

'I have a date with destiny'

It's meaningless surely? Everyone's destiny, by definition, is set, everyone has a series of dates with it?

Does anyone know how to speak English any more, I so enjoy reading older books and reading a much clearer and better constructed English

A pox on modern people and their attempts to speak

Tynan is 51

winjim

Smash the cistern
*Pedantry

MikeG

Guru
I'e been told repeatedly that I'm prone to this but I've just heard a fella on the Coast series say with relish and emphasis

It's meaningless surely? Everyone's destiny, by definition, is set,?

Are you suggesting that everything in everyone's life is pre-ordained? That we are in fact little more than automatons, marching to someone else's tune? I don't see any evidence for this notion.

Does anyone know how to speak English any more, I so enjoy reading older books and reading a much clearer and better constructed English

Tynan is 51

Your first sentence should be two, with a question mark after 'more', and a full stop after 'English'. There should also be a full stop after 'speak'. Maybe as you contemplate the quality of the English in those older books you might absorb some of their lessons on grammar.:tongue::whistle:

Just a bit of fun, because winjim got in first with "pedantry"......^_^

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
*Pedantry

*Pendandtry

classic33

Leg End Member
Are you suggesting that everything in everyone's life is pre-ordained? That we are in fact little more than automatons, marching to someone else's tune? I don't see any evidence for this notion.

Your first sentence should be two, with a question mark after 'more', and a full stop after 'English'. There should also be a full stop after 'speak'. Maybe as you contemplate the quality of the English in those older books you might absorb some of their lessons on grammar.:tongue::whistle:

Just a bit of fun, because winjim got in first with "pedantry"......^_^
Ever thought it might just be nothing more than a computer simulation?

It might explain why you can't see any evidence. They don't want you to see it.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I'm not suggesting anything other than the meaning of Destiny means, well, that everything is pre-destined. It was the fella's choice of phrase not mine.

the gramma, speling and punktuation police can feck off, i'm on a laptop in a very easy chair with my leg propped up, i'm allowed to type shoot

Tin Pot

Guru

It's meaningless surely? Everyone's destiny, by definition, is set, everyone has a series of dates with it?

Tynan is 51

Oh the irony.

Nice thread.:smile:

We all may have dates with destiny, but only some of us are aware of it.

Hmm, is it a modern phrase? Let's ask google.

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 14.25.40.jpg

Well, 20th century, but older than @Tynan. It first came into usage in 1933, the year that Hitler became chancellor of Germany. I don't think that is a coincidence. It stayed popular in the years after the war, but usage reached a nadir about the same time that @Tynan reached manhood. It's obviously had a revival, which I hadn't noticed.

When I go down to the shops, and a car knocks me down, my relatives might say I had a date with destiny. I wasn't aware of it. However, if I was navigating a bomber over Berlin, I might feel the hand of fate upon me, as might the people of Berlin hearing the engines.

I didn't watch Coast, so have no idea if the usage makes sense or not. I doubt he was facing down death.

Top Bottom