Pedestrian Plonker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

A couple of years ago I was on a tour. An older gent was on his bike in the cycle lane in front of us, riding slowly and in such a way as to completely block the path.

I rang the bell to let him know we were behind and wanted to pass. No reaction.

I rang again, and so did my buddy. Still no reaction.

Rang a third time, more forcefully, and yet still no reaction. So I just said "excuse me" and he pulled over to let us by. As we passed, he said (in a very helpful tone) "you boys should get a bell..."

:wacko:

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Sheffield_Tiger said:
"get out of my way, schnell, schnell!"

Shouldn't that be "Get out of my way, Feuer, Feuer!"

Cue sound of handle-bar mounted machine gun..............

Matthames

Über Member
Kaipaith said:
Rang a third time, more forcefully, and yet still no reaction. So I just said "excuse me" and he pulled over to let us by. As we passed, he said (in a very helpful tone) "you boys should get a bell..."

I probably would have suggested that he sees an audiologist. Most people with age related hearing loss don't really notice that they themselves are going deaf, so won't see that they have a problem. It is usually the high frequency sounds that are the first to go.

Kaipaith said:
A couple of years ago I was on a tour. An older gent was on his bike in the cycle lane in front of us, riding slowly and in such a way as to completely block the path.

I rang the bell to let him know we were behind and wanted to pass. No reaction.

I rang again, and so did my buddy. Still no reaction.

If I blew my car horn the silly old duffer would probably have a heart attack.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Molecule Man said:
I dislike bells on bikes when I'm on foot. Most of the time in my experience they do seem to be used as a shorthand for 'get out of my way!'
On my bike I'm quite happy to slow down and ask to get past, it seems much more polite to me. However, I once got an earful of abuse from a middle-aged guy on a shared-use track in Devon after I politely asked to pass, but he was angry that I hadn't used a bell.

As I've said before, I use a bell when I'm a considerable distance away from a pedestrian and my voice (a cheery "hello" or "good morning") when I'm closer. This combination works best if you ride sedately when approaching and passing pedestrians.

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
If I blew my car horn the silly old duffer would probably have a heart attack.

Or he might have ignored the horn and waited until you'd politely said "excuse me" before moving over.

And then quipped "You should get a horn, young man" as you passed.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
dondare said:
Or he might have ignored the horn and waited until you'd politely said "excuse me" before moving over.

And then quipped "You should get a horn, young man" as you passed.

Or he might have said in a really camp voice: "Oooo get you with ya big heavy horn!" :wacko:

dondare

Über Member
downfader said:
Or he might have said in a really camp voice: "Oooo get you with ya big heavy horn!" :wacko:

I see that the heat is getting to some people..

dondare

Über Member
I don't have a bell, airzound, horn &c. because in the circumstances that I'd need one I'd rather be using both hands to steer and brake.
And because peds either ignore them or get offended.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
dondare said:
I see that the heat is getting to some people..

I've been out in it trying to build a shed... its baking out. The instructions are in bl**dy engrish too.:wacko: My brother has a phd and even he cant fathom it. Avoid the Arrow sheds from Argos is my advice. :smile:

dondare

Über Member
downfader said:
I've been out in it trying to build a shed... its baking out. The instructions are in bl**dy engrish too.:wacko: My brother has a phd and even he cant fathom it. Avoid the Arrow sheds from Argos is my advice. :smile:

We've got a very nice shed, erected by a couple of very nice men for a very reasonable price.
I am right now going outside to do some minor work on my bike that is bound to turn into a major project and involve sweat, swearing and bicycle oil up to my elbows.

dondare

Über Member
dondare said:
I am right now going outside to do some minor work on my bike that is bound to turn into a major project and involve sweat, swearing and bicycle oil up to my elbows.

Job Jobbed.

nice.im at work.interesting commute in with a few moments to check on the cam.mainly leyton green bus garage ped and taxi at bank.for future reference.