Pedestrian Plonker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I started that shed at 9am. Brother came to help at about 10am and we finished most of it at about 9.30 tonight. :ohmy: Bl**dy shed doesnt even come with all the bolts you need. :biggrin:

dondare

Über Member
downfader said:
I started that shed at 9am. Brother came to help at about 10am and we finished most of it at about 9.30 tonight. :ohmy: Bl**dy shed doesnt even come with all the bolts you need. :biggrin:

I replaced my middle chain ring and chain and suffered only slightly skinned knuckles and just a touch of sunburn.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
dondare said:
I replaced my middle chain ring and chain and suffered only slightly skinned knuckles and just a touch of sunburn.

LOL well I managed to take a load of skin off my left thumb. And I knelt on a few stones.

Had a ped today just steeped out in front of me...Didn't look once...The incident was actually worse than it looked on cam...It looks worse on the handlebar cam than it does on the MUVI helmet cam.I had time to make my plan though thats how I managed to get round him without him knowing I was there.

The taxi thing...Ditto...It looks worse on the handlebar cam than it does on the helmet cam.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
dondare said:
What did you do about the missing bolts?

Heading off to B&Q this morning. Need to get a couple of other bits to make it secure inside too. Annoying thing is it doesnt come with a base either so we need to build one

downfader said:
Heading off to B&Q this morning. Need to get a couple of other bits to make it secure inside too. Annoying thing is it doesnt come with a base either so we need to build one

Was it the cheapest one you could find by any chance?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Catrike UK said:
Was it the cheapest one you could find by any chance?

The shed? No. It was £250 and we did look around a fair bit before hand. I measured up loads of things like doors as well as the base and height.

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
Had a ped today just steeped out in front of me...Didn't look once...The incident was actually worse than it looked on cam...It looks worse on the handlebar cam than it does on the MUVI helmet cam.I had time to make my plan though thats how I managed to get round him without him knowing I was there.

The taxi thing...Ditto...It looks worse on the handlebar cam than it does on the helmet cam.

1) This is how peds sometimes behave and knowing this, it is up to us to watch out for them. There are unobservant oldlies and irresponsible children and stroppy adults and they will step out in front of you and then be very ungracious about the fright that you gave them by nearly running into them. Nothing will change their behaviour so just be ready for it, keep calm and carry on.

2) So where's the film?

1) I may do but that does not mean everyone else does...Just lucky there was no car behind me.

Nice to state the obvious really...because if people cannot take responsibility for how the cross the road amongst other things then im really saddened.Where does it stop?
2) On my computer
3) Im almost at the end of what is now an 8 day commuting stint and am too tired and have other things to do...Plus im on at 5am tomorrow and have just got home from work..

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
1) I may do but that does not mean everyone else does...Just lucky there was no car behind me.

Nice to state the obvious really...because if people cannot take responsibility for how the cross the road amongst other things then im really saddened.Where does it stop?

The greatest responsibility lies with person controling the greatest danger.
Pedestrians, in themselves, pose little danger and therefore have little responsibility. When pedestrians appear to be a danger it can usually be seen that it is in fact the speed and power of the vehicles that also use the road that are the real cause.

Yes, that is stating the obvious, but the way that cyclists on this forum will refer to peds as plonkers, muppets &c. shows what they really believe.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
dondare said:
The greatest responsibility lies with person controling the greatest danger.
Pedestrians, in themselves, pose little danger and therefore have little responsibility. When pedestrians appear to be a danger it can usually be seen that it is in fact the speed and power of the vehicles that also use the road that are the real cause.

Yes, that is stating the obvious, but the way that cyclists on this forum will refer to peds as plonkers, muppets &c. shows what they really believe.

No I refered to this one woman as a plonker. Theres a difference :smile:

I'll also add that a pedestrian and cyclist colliding poses equal risks to the cyclist (perhaps as good a reason not to ride on pavements or through crossings imo) in many cases. Wasnt Tynan the victim some months back and suffered a nasty injury to his hip when a pedestrian ran into him from behind a car?

Tynan had a collision just recent a few weeks back (or was it a bit longer?)...I didn't sympathise at the time but I do a bit now.Sometimes it just cannot be avoided.

Then again I sympathise with the ped...I don't like seeing peds injured...and I've seen more than a few including one in my 1991 collision.

dondare

Über Member
The woman described in the first post probably was a prize plonker. I've had them walk right out in front of me without looking for any traffic so lucky for them it was only me.
I've also been knocked off my bike (twice) by peds running into the road and into the side of me: their fault on those occasions. Pedestrians can be plonkers, which is why we have to be so careful of their safety. As well as our own.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
dondare said:
I don't have a bell, airzound, horn &c. because in the circumstances that I'd need one I'd rather be using both hands to steer and brake.
And because peds either ignore them or get offended.

This is a bit of rather poor "logic" one sees regularly on forums. A well set up horn won't prevent you from steering and braking and beeping all at the same time. A horn used properly can easily change a certain collision into nothing more than a miss.