Pedestrian put-downs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Gawd... I'm not even sure if I was even being propelled by the upward motion of the bike. I might even have been walking it. It's all very vague now.

Ok. If I had injured one or the other whilst walking the bike, and they remonstrated, what sort of crimes could I have accused *them* of?

Yes, quite correct - no-one's yet come up with a definite answer as to what the definition of cycling is as opposed to walking. You could have been sitting on your bike propelling it with your feet touching the ground, which would have been technically walking. In my book if you're only doing the speed of a ped, you are one.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
**** you. I was actually on my bike.

We need dutch law in this country that dictates that bike riders come first...

Then pedestrians...

Then motor vehicles

no, the order should be thus:
1) MTBs
2) Roadies
3) Cars and vans
4) Lorries
5) Any other vehicle
6) Peds
7) Buses
i.e. if a MTB has an accident with a roadie, it's the roadie's fault. And if a bus has an accident with anybody, it's his fault. :biggrin: And if a ped wanders out into the road in somebody's way, then it's his fault, unless it's a bus.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Yes, quite correct - no-one's yet come up with a definite answer as to what the definition of cycling is as opposed to walking. You could have been sitting on your bike propelling it with your feet touching the ground, which would have been technically walking. In my book if you're only doing the speed of a ped, you are one.

Ah, the great book of bonj....

I think bonj, we've often come up with definitions for you, you just refuse to accept them. My view would be, if you are straddling your bike, and propelling it along, whether by the pedals or your feet on the ground, you're cycling. If you're off the bike, and pushing it along, you're walking.
I know, you're actually taking up more space that way, but I think that is the definition most people on the street would give...

If Arbitrary had been pushing his bike, from one side, and been remonstrated with, he'd have some comeback. But if he's sitting on, or astride it, he's on shakey ground. And if he was actually riding it, propelling it by the pedals, then he's got no leg to stand on at all...

bonj2

Arch said:
Ah, the great book of bonj....

I think bonj, we've often come up with definitions for you, you just refuse to accept them. My view would be, if you are straddling your bike, and propelling it along, whether by the pedals or your feet on the ground, you're cycling. If you're off the bike, and pushing it along, you're walking.
I know, you're actually taking up more space that way, but I think that is the definition most people on the street would give...

If Arbitrary had been pushing his bike, from one side, and been remonstrated with, he'd have some comeback. But if he's sitting on, or astride it, he's on shakey ground. And if he was actually riding it, propelling it by the pedals, then he's got no leg to stand on at all...
ah, but what defines 'straddling' it? If your centre of gravity is behind the centre of gravity of the saddle, which it's quite possible for it to be, then I could argue that you're not actually straddling it. If you're only astride the front wheel and pushing it backwards with the handlebars, are you then still straddling it? You see - where do you draw the line?

I'm not convinced that cycling on the pavement and accusing pedestrians of crimes is the best way to promote cycling.

Jeremy Clarkson

"What did I see yesterday? A plonker on a bike on the pavement. Little old ladies were dropping their shopping. Small children were jumping out of the way. 'Excuse me,' I say, 'You shouldn't be on the pavement.'
'Molested any children lately, you paedophile," he replies. And then they wonder why they're unpopular."

MarkF

Guru
bonj said:
ah, but what defines 'straddling' it? If your centre of gravity is behind the centre of gravity of the saddle, which it's quite possible for it to be, then I could argue that you're not actually straddling it. If you're only astride the front wheel and pushing it backwards with the handlebars, are you then still straddling it? You see - where do you draw the line?

:biggrin:

Are there any good "put downs" or what then? I am lucky I haven't been hassled or abused yet, maybe it's because I am big?:biggrin: Would like some good ammunition for when the time comes though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:

Draw a line down from your crotch (ugh, thinkng about bonj's crotch <shudder>) to the ground, so that the line is perpendicular to the ground (that means, at 90 degrees to it...). If any part of the bike is behind that line as you push it, and you have a leg either side, you're straddling it. A smallish child could tell you that. It's a simple definition of the word 'straddle'. Nothing to do with centres of gravity. If any part of the bike is between your legs, you are astride it.

Arch said:
Draw a line down from your crotch (ugh, thinkng about bonj's crotch <shudder>) .

Tell us more about the shudder, Arch....................:biggrin:

Blonde

I was once stood at a pedestrian crossing waiting for the lights to change when a woman with two kids in tow went across the road in front of me. 'Ooh look a bike' said one little boy. 'Yes' said his mum, then, to me, in a high pitched and what I thought was quite an aggressive tone, 'An' where's yer 'elmet?' I was tempted to retort with 'Where are your manners?' but refrained. How odd though - Do the GBP (Great British Public) actually believe that is is law that one must wear a helmet now?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Blonde said:
I was once stood at a pedestrian crossing waiting for the lights to change when a woman with two kids in tow went across the road in front of me. 'Ooh look a bike' said one little boy. 'Yes' said his mum, then, to me, in a high pitched and what I thought was quite an aggressive tone, 'An' where's yer 'elmet?' I was tempted to retort with 'Where are your manners?' but refrained. How odd though - Do the GBP (Great British Public) actually believe that is is law that one must wear a helmet now?
if you were wearing lycra shorts you could have shown her :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
if you were wearing lycra shorts you could have shown her :biggrin:

err, I might be wrong, but I don't think Blonde is appropriately equipped to do so...

(On account of her being a Laydee, if my hazy memory of previous posts has not betrayed me).

bonj2

Patrick Stevens said:
I'm not convinced that cycling on the pavement and accusing pedestrians of crimes is the best way to promote cycling.

As I cycle past a ped on the pavement, if they shout 'careful!' or 'slow down!', or 'get on the road - you shouldn't be in the pavement!' I'm going to shout "Well what about that dead body you've got buried in your garden?!!"

Top Bottom