Pedestrian put-downs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User said:
Except no such law exists in Holland.

The hierarchy is for shared use paths in Holland is actually: pedestrians, then cyclists, then mopeds under 50cc, then other motor vehicles (where permitted).

I reckon it should be a bit like on the water - steam gives way to sail etc.

Not so much giving way exactly though, I'd say, more a duty of care, so cyclists watch out for and take great care around, pedestrians, and on the road cars do the same for cyclists (and by extension therefore, pedestrians).

Of course, I think that's more or less the law as it stands, just some people don't seem to have noticed...

Ideally, it should be a simple case of the less vulnerable looking after the more. But cyclists are in a slightly difficult position because in interactions with pedestrians, we're faster and sometimes heavier, but can come off just as badly, or worse, in a collision, unlike the car/cyclist interaction, where the car is faster and heavier, but the driver rarely comes off worse in a collision. So it seems sensible in interactions with pedestrians that cyclists take care, for their own sakes as much as anything else. It's like cars and HGVs - it makes sense for the car driver to take extra care around them and give way sometimes out of courtesy, because even if they're 'in the right', they're unlikely to come off best in a collision...

Too many people seem fixated on getting their rights, rather than using common sense.

Top Bottom