Pedestrian put-downs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
This was just outside Norwich Union, before Lendal Bridge. In hindsight I think he just mis-judged my speed, thought he'd be okay to cross, and then got a shock when I was almost on top of him!

Oh, on the riverside path? I've lost count of the number of pedestrians I've had to avoid there. They just switch off...

I just said the first thing which came to mind, which happened to be, 'Satans jävlar i helvete! Kan du inte se opp för faan?!' As I said, it shook me up, and the only comebacks I could think of to the accusations that followed came to me after he'd gone.

Sounds fearsome! Translation? Or would you rather not type that sort of thing, being a nice well brought up chap?

Mike is working there at the moment, and saw the whole thing, so he had a good laugh at my expense!

:blush: Although, I have to say, if I could think of anyone who might absentmindely walk out in front of a bike and be knocked down in humorous or bizarre circumstances....

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
Sounds fearsome! Translation? Or would you rather not type that sort of thing, being a nice well brought up chap?

Loosely the effect is analogous to:

'Fscking Hell! Can't you look where you're going, for fsck's sake?!'

...only rather coarser and with more of a flourish. But Swedish swearing works a little differently, so a literal translation would be:

'Satan's little devils in Hell! Can't you look out, for the Devil's sake?!'

This sounds a little silly in English.

Getting a cuppa now. :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
Loosely the effect is analogous to:

'Fscking Hell! Can't you look where you're going, for fsck's sake?!'

...only rather coarser and with more of a flourish. But Swedish swearing works a little differently, so a literal translation would be:

Getting a cuppa now. :angry:

I dunno. I like it. I'm going to use it next time.... Possibly with a 'Gadzooks' added on the end...:blush:

Perhaps that's the answer to pedestrian putdowns. A return to good old fashioned swearing. Gadzooks, forsooth! etc...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Carwash said:

I think that's utterly splendid, myself. I agree with the addition of "Gadzooks", and reckon it should be said with a voice as close to that of Brian Blessed as can be managed.

Big Bren

Abitrary said:
'jay walking'

I spent a summer in LA once, interrailing, and a british guy got done for that.

The buzz spread around all the useless students in the hostel bunk room that one of us had been done for

'jay walking'

We all liked the sound of it. It was like a Gingsberg poem with drums and the saxophone playing it's unruly rule-sound, of

'jay walking'

Even the smoke spiralling up from the voodoo spirit hatman in the corner said

'jay walking'

All I conclude is that it's got the best name for the least significant crime

Genius - CC has its very own beat poet.

Bren

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Back to the original subject, I live in way one-way road, at the bottom, and I have to cycle against the flow to get to my favorite DCP (dedicated cycle path)

About 2 months ago, I almost knocked a bloke down... usual apology, and quietly '..and a one way street'

I muttered back, 'and you don't know your green cross code', but I was trembling with anger and guilt at the same time. Usually takes me 3 minutes to get over that though.

The problem is, if I go round the block, with a right turn into a busy road, it's a nightmare at that time of the morning, in a car it takes 3 mins sometimes to be let out. Let alone a fragile flower on a bicycle

The next option is save my life and the blood pressure of others, and go along the pavement to the next road.

Thanks very much though, but I'm very proudly doing the 2 wheel contraflow trip from now on

Cycling on pavements is a very bad thing, do it if you have to but be nice to people, your at fault if there is an accident and can face criminal and/or civil charges.

Being rude to people on the pavement is also a very bad thing, do it to women /kids and you might get away with it, do it to anyone else you could get a smack in the face.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Abitrary said:
The problem is, if I go round the block, with a right turn into a busy road, it's a nightmare at that time of the morning, in a car it takes 3 mins sometimes to be let out. Let alone a fragile flower on a bicycle

The next option is save my life and the blood pressure of others, and go along the pavement to the next road.

Here's an idea you might not of thought of. It is possible to push your bike without riding it, and you're allowed to do that on the pavement. Nobody gets raised bloodpressure, or angry or anything, and unless you're talking of a journey of half a mile or so, you'll only be adding seconds to your trip...

domtyler

Über Member
You can cycle down my street on the pavement if you like, I want to try out my new technique for dealing with this problem, it involves a large piece of wood and lots of blood.

bonj2

Arch said:
Here's an idea you might not of thought of. It is possible to push your bike without riding it, and you're allowed to do that on the pavement. Nobody gets raised bloodpressure, or angry or anything, and unless you're talking of a journey of half a mile or so, you'll only be adding seconds to your trip...

Or just 'scoot' it, i.e. not being astride it but with left foot on left pedal, and right leg just dangling.
which technically makes you a pedestrian.

Arch

Married to Night Train
spandex said:
nope thats illegal to i was a cycle messenger for 4years and ive been done for scooting and my boss was on the brink of been arested for it.

bonjy knows full well it doesn't make you a pedestrian, we've had this discussion ad nausuem, and he's just being nauseum again...

Top Bottom