Pendle Pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
I've entered it, did the mtb route last year so decided to try the 100km road route this year. Only my 2nd sportive, after the legbreaker last weekend.

Ah-ha! I was feeling a bit lonely...

Should be good, although their pre-event organisation is a bit sloppy.
I emailed to ask if I was in because they hadn't cashed my cheque and I'd heard nothing, they replied that the blurb was put in the post the day before. It did eventually turn-up, but with a postmark a week later...

The 'info-pack' says that food and drinks 'will be available for purchase' at the feedstations, which has lead to a bit of uproar over on cyclosport forum and the organiser has come on saying it's included and free.

trio25

Über Member
I've only entered in the last week.

Yes have been reading the thread on cyclosport, glad the organiser has made it clear. Seemed odd to say you might have to pay, I will bring money in case wouldn't be good to get there and find you had to pay. Think it will be free though, otherwise the publicity will be terrible.

trio25

Über Member
So how did everyone get on? I really enjoyed the day and it was nice that the sun came out to play.

7:40 and decided it was hard !
That last 15 miles was relentless.
I'm doing Cumberland Challenge next month and that has the last 20 or so miles flat/rolling at the end so you can either get some speed up or just crawl in, whichever state you're in. Polka Dot is similar, last 20m is a time-trial run in.

But this one didn't seem to want to give up ! Just had a succession of steep ups and downs at the end.

I didn't get into any groups, didn't see any (other than the Dave Lloyd twosome and I wasn't going to try to tag onto the back of that) and a big mixed-up Liverpool posse (about three different clubs, saw them at the last feedstop, left before they did and they didn't catch me for me to tag-on), so ended-up doing the whole ride alone, which doubtless made it harder work, on top of the heat.
- my computer showed 35C at one point, no wonder I felt blitzed...

Thought the on-the-day organisation was superb : friendly people, lots of food, challenging route.
Perhaps the signs would have been a bit more obvious on yellow rather than white, had a few anxious moments where I thought I'd gone wrong but hadn't.
And for some reason the marshal directed me around the route rather than into the first feedstop, so I was getting seriously short of water by the second stop, where I shifted a litre and a half !

I'm taking it a bit easy this week, running a 5K on Thursday night...

Mmm, that's a shame. ;)

I think this was one of the tougher sportives I've done
  • it was pretty hilly, right to the end : in the last 15miles there were so many little steep ups & downs, at the point when you're knackered and just want to get to the end.
In my case these 15m took me about 1:10 to 1:15 and the target time I was chasing just became unrealistic, which was depressing as well.
  • it was 'the hottest day of the year' apparently : certainly my computer said 35C at one point
The forecast was debateable as to whether it was going to be a scorcher or we'd get wet, and those clouds at the start looked ominous, so I also took what turned-out to be unnecessary waterproof and armwarmers rather than risk being caught on the moortops, after the experience of cold torrential rain of Tour of Wessex...
  • there were only 200-ish riders, so it was all a bit spread-out If you were suffering out there, it could have been a bit lonely and miserable.
If you can get in a group you can share the work and it's a lot easier/quicker, or at least if there are other riders nearby or you're in a group you get mutual encouragement.
Dunno what I'd suggest.
One of the bigger sportives would have more people to ride with.
One which finishes with a flat bit gives you an easier chance to get to the finish even when you're knackered, or keep the speed-up and finish feeling elated, rather than demoralised and grateful it's over.

The Polka Dot Challenge would have met those, but that was in June...

trio25

Über Member
I actually enjoyed there been less people, I could usually just about see someone in front of or behind me. I would have hated it to be crowded on the descents. I will definetly be back next year and might even attempt the longer distance.

Top Bottom