pennine trail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steveoo

steveoo

Which section are you looking to do ? How far ? Do you want to do a "there and back" ride, or find a circular route, or perhaps get a train back ?

I'm planning to do the whole route west to east at end of August (if my knee recovers in time) and I've already done Leeds to Chesterfield. The latter is about 65 miles, some of which can be fairly rough trails.

Dunford Bridge is a good starting point as Cubist says. Going east from there it's all downhill, well basically all the way to the coast at Hornsea! Couple of minor inclines maybe. But you can certainly do a good long ride before you turn back - the return journey would be uphill though. It's only a slight incline but at Dunford Bridge you're very close to the highest point on the route. Also the track to Penistone can be a bit muddy and rough. DEFINITELY not for road bikes.

Alternatively, the path between Sheffield and Penistone is very well surfaced, flat and with good car parks at either end. How about starting at Meadowhall, heading up towards Penistone and turning round when you've had enough. Starting at Penistone would work well too.

Old Moor RSPB (SE of Barnsley) has good car parking, a great cafe and of course other things to do than biking. From there the paths are good in either direction. You can head E towards Doncaster, or W towards Penistone - you can also branch off North or South. Lots of choices.

Is it worth getting the route maps?
.Seems to be plenty of choices as you say. Iam tempted to let the wife and kids cycle what they feel like and i,ll shoot off for a full days jaunt and catch up with them later (heres hoping).I like the idea of getting fully mucked up just to see the expression on the wifes face its always good for a laugh.:hyper:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Once I'm back up and about I plan to take my Yeti to Cubists for some experienced oversight of my amateur maintenance. Parts and tools all lined up when I went and bust my knee.

Be nice to do a ride out there too if time allows.
Its a deal. As soon as your knee's up to it we can test the bike on a local trail.

Cubist

Still wavin'
.Seems to be plenty of choices as you say. Iam tempted to let the wife and kids cycle what they feel like and i,ll shoot off for a full days jaunt and catch up with them later (heres hoping).I like the idea of getting fully mucked up just to see the expression on the wifes face its always good for a laugh.:hyper:
The route maps may come in handy, but the best part about the trail is how well it's waymarked. The linear nature means its ideal for what you propose, ie letting the wife and kids do their own thing and letting off a bit of steam yourself.

Penistone to the Eastern portal of the Woodhead tunnels can be mucky! Drag the family along as I'm sure theres a cafe for cake etc at the end of it

The route maps may come in handy, but the best part about the trail is how well it's waymarked. The linear nature means its ideal for what you propose, ie letting the wife and kids do their own thing and letting off a bit of steam yourself.

I like the maps as even though I dont use them for navigation always they do show the nearest pub and other things I might want to visit!

Redder

not yet ... Is there a map for it ? I'd need to get my knee recovered first though of course
If you're still after a map I have a pdf of the route overlayed on an OS map that I downloaded from a web site a while ago that I could email you. Shows both the off road and on road routes.

Redder

low res copy of pdf...
92834738.jpg

OP
OP
steveoo

steveoo

Thanks but I got the full set of maps off eBay for £8.50

RhythMick

Über Member
Did the off road route today with wife and son in tow.

In my opinion this is not suitable for cycles and shouldn't be signposted as such. There are many places where it's not possible to cycle as there's no pedal room in the very narrow channel/rut. It's even tricky to push the bike!

Top Bottom