Penny farthing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
A simple question, has anybody actually ridden one ? Saw an episode of "american pickers" and watched the guy ride one around so it just got me wondering what they really are like to ride.
There was also a type with the small wheel at the front,anybody seen one of these or is that just a strange american developement ?

Canrider

Guru
I haven't, but there are people here who have...I'm sure someone'll be along shortly.

HovR

Über Member
Charlotte, sometimes of this forum but mainly of the other sometimes rides a Penny Farthing on the FNRttC's. She has also done the Dunwich Dynamo, as this video shows.

Thanks for posting this video, it's a good watch. Love the guys reaction at the end. ^_^

Teuchter

Über Member
That video was great, always wondered how mounting and dismounting a penny farthing was done. The question that did strike me watching it was where do you get tyres for those things?

That video was great, always wondered how mounting and dismounting a penny farthing was done. The question that did strike me watching it was where do you get tyres for those things?

You buy a very expensive roll of it from a place in Manchester.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The ones with the small wheel at the front as mentioned earlier were an attempt at the time to make cycling a bit safer and were not exclusively an U.S. feature AFAIK.

The 'Safety Bicycle' et all followed soon after that anyway, rendering them obsolete.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
To answer the OP - they're not too tricky to ride. The steering is incredibly direct and as the bars turn, so do the pedals! That feels a bit odd. Plus, there's the whole long-way-up thing. Getting on is not difficult, but dismounting is somewhat awkward IME.
None the less, I've shown dozens of people how to ride one.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
36" wheel one for £365 here.
No connection, but I have ridden one of those and they're quite nice.
There's also a 27" one here, but 27" is a bit low to be practical transport.
Still a fun ride, but getting towards a PFSO, if there is such a thing...

Chris-H

Über Member
36" wheel one for £365 here.
No connection, but I have ridden one of those and they're quite nice.
There's also a 27" one here, but 27" is a bit low to be practical transport.
Still a fun ride, but getting towards a PFSO, if there is such a thing...
I saw a very similar one on ebay too,how bit were the original wheels any idea?

Top Bottom