Penny farthing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
I think its going to be an ambition of mine to ride one for sure,that will help me decide if i should get one or not:thumbsup:

Shaun Bradbury

I am looking to put a penny farthing bike race on around the grounds of a manor house on the wirral (NW). Any one offer any advice on who I could get in touch with. It will be part of a Victorian themed event for school children in a fantastic venue.

U

User42423

A simple question, has anybody actually ridden one ? Saw an episode of "american pickers" and watched the guy ride one around so it just got me wondering what they really are like to ride.
There was also a type with the small wheel at the front,anybody seen one of these or is that just a strange american developement ?

Hi "Sidevalve". I'm aware this is a really old post, but I've only just joined site. In answer to your question, Yes, I've ridden a 'Penny Farthing'. I used to own an 1885 Singer 52". Sadly, was knocked off in Central London.

The type with a small front wheel & big back wheel is called a STAR. 002.jpg

OP
OP
sidevalve

sidevalve

Über Member
Hi "Sidevalve". I'm aware this is a really old post, but I've only just joined site. In answer to your question, Yes, I've ridden a 'Penny Farthing'. I used to own an 1885 Singer 52". Sadly, was knocked off in Central London.

View attachment 84128
The type with a small front wheel & big back wheel is called a STAR.
Nice. One of my main questions is - what are the downhill bits like ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Dodgy as feck!
The brakes are dreadful, and you're perilously close to going over the bars on any downhill. The Rover safety bike (a bike as we'd recognise it) was aptly named.

U

User42423

Nice. One of my main questions is - what are the downhill bits like ?

Simple answer is.....nerve racking. Any decent rider would dis-mount and walk, I know I did. I agree with TheDoctor, the safety bicycle was much better.

Top Bottom