Penny whistle or flute for 'Fairytale of New York'

Should I play the Flute or Penny Whistle (please read opening post in thread before voting!)

• Flute

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Penny Whistle

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Our local pub has a folk song/singalong evening every month and my neighbours are keen contributors.

They discovered I play some instruments and so asked me to play along with them on the Shane McGowan/Kirsty MacColl "Fairytale of New York" on Wednesday night. I said 'yes' as I'm nice like that and they duly trotted around with the music.

It's written in a fairly easy style and sounded good on the piano. Then I discovered they didn't want me to play the piano but the flute. The flute is an octave lower than the penny whistle on the CD. Now it just so happens I have a colossally cheap souvenir-type penny whistle which I've played a bit and I can play the song. However it's not 100% in tune and it's difficult to play it quietly enough up in the upper register.

My question is:

Should I play the flute (at which I'm pretty decent) and which will be quiet enough for the smallish room in which the singalong takes place, but isn't the 'real mccoy'

OR

Should I play the penny whistle which might be a bit off key in places and a bit too loud but will be authentic?

Tooty flooty. Far more melodic.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Sounds like a lot of it will be down to the acoustics. Not sure how much a pub singalong should be about authenticity, more about people having fun to music.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Definitely penny whistle. Would a Paddy play a FLUTE in a pub session? Fer Gawd's sake.....

Greedo

A penny whistle!

Flutes are for orange bands!:laugh:

Top Bottom