"People are giving up on cycling".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
but if you've bought an expensive bike that has sat in the garage for 2 years after it was used a a few times during lockdown, what sounds like a better reason for not using it:
1. There are too many cars on the road and I don't feel safe.
2. Cycling is actually very hard work, especially up hill or in bad weather.

Or excuse #3.... They have more money than sense, bought an expensive bike because it was trendy at the time, but now prefer the convenience and comfort of the BMW/Audi/Merc/Tesla.

Milzy

Guru
Now I have the Garmin radar light I realise just how many cars come past. When they approach at speed it flashes up red and double beeps. May have to mute it, scary stuff.

Mike_P

Guru
Now I have the Garmin radar light I realise just how many cars come past. When they approach at speed it flashes up red and double beeps. May have to mute it, scary stuff.

Just get use it, find it very useful when trundling along a country lane to get a bleep for an approaching vehicle or in town it's more like when it stops bleeping and there is a possibility of doing a right turn easily subject to no car smack behind that had dropped speed such that is no longer detected as approaching. The twin urgent bleeps of a fast approaching vehicle are a bit alarming at first but actually quite useful in, for example, judging that the inside
route than than outside around that approaching pothole would be the better.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Done that two years ago
20220929_115115.jpg

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think the cost of living will continue the cycling trend as people simply cannot afford to pay energy bills some has to go and the largest non essential items for many is the car... or second car.. the bike is a handy replacement for local journeys.

The train is also pretty good when running - Bournemouth to Leeds - £60 in 5hrs see a little of London as well.

I dont know bikes and their maintence can be expensive as well. Yes people get a bike for £20.00 and use it for years etc. But this is the minority. If you're riding in the winter as well, theres other things you need like a waterproof, decent shoes and lights etc. It all mounts up ££.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I dont know bikes and their maintence can be expensive as well. Yes people get a bike for £20.00 and use it for years etc. But this is the minority. If you're riding in the winter as well, theres other things you need like a waterproof, decent shoes and lights etc. It all mounts up ££.

Still a lot cheaper than running your average car. I've got 5 bikes, which between them do about 3000 miles per year. Maintenance costs for the last 12 months amounts to 1 new drive chain/cassette (£40), 2 new batteries for CatEye wireless (£9), 2 pairs shorts (£60), 1 helmet bought in a moment of madness (£60), 1 pair tyres (£50). Total about £220.

The car...... Insurance £250; VED £160; MOT £55; service requiring new front brake discs/pads £450; petrol approx. £1000. Total over £1900. And that's not allowing for depreciation, while the bikes probably lose very little in value.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] what sounds like a better reason for not using it:
1. There are too many cars on the road and I don't feel safe.
2. Cycling is actually very hard work, especially up hill or in bad weather.
What point are you trying to make there? That people on here who continue cycling through the autumn and winter are hard nut heroes? Why do you want to imply that people giving up cycling are liars and pretty much wimps who don't like hard work? That's not going to encourage many to start cycling again. Do you not care if every cyclist fewer reduces our safety in numbers and every extra motorists increases the pollution and risks?

[...] If you're riding in the winter as well, theres other things you need like a waterproof, decent shoes and lights etc. It all mounts up ££.
If you go outside at all in winter, you need a waterproof and decent shoes, so that's not an extra cost. Lights? £15 in a German supermarket sale will get you decent rechargeable lights that will last a few years, if you need to save. For long-term value, £40 can buy decent dynamo lights that will probably last a decade, but dynamo wheels seem to be £60+ now and often out of stock (supply problems or increased demand? I don't know).

mustang1

Legendary Member
Or excuse #3.... They have more money than sense, bought an expensive bike because it was trendy at the time, but now prefer the convenience and comfort of the BMW/Audi/Merc/Tesla.

... Uhm or Nissan/Renault/ford/Vauxhall? :smile:

And this thing about money Vs sense. Would one rather have too much money or too much sense? If you have too much money then can you employ someone to make sense of it all? Or if you have too much sense, can one use it to make money? Did having too much money make one too comfortable and whereas one may have had sense, then the bother of thinking goes out the window?

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom