People calling non-recumbent bikes 'upwrongs'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
byegad said:
Possibly,although I have a 1978 edition of Richards Bicycle book with some old line drawings. One shows some 'young bloods' descending a steep hill with their legs over the handle bars. I assume to a) get their feet out of the way of the pedals and :evil: so if they do go over the top they can attempt to land feet first!

Rather them than me!

As a professional and long distance penny farthing rider I can assure you that the bike running away with you is the main problem.

There's a rule connected with riding pennies "If you can't see the bottom of the hill you don't ride down it"

Arch

Married to Night Train
byegad said:
Possibly,although I have a 1978 edition of Richards Bicycle book with some old line drawings. One shows some 'young bloods' descending a steep hill with their legs over the handle bars. I assume to a) get their feet out of the way of the pedals and :evil: so if they do go over the top they can attempt to land feet first!

Rather them than me!

In Jim McGurns Bicycle history book, there is a illustration from an ad for Quick release handlebars, designed to come off in your hands if you were jeerked suddenly out of the saddle, hence not trapping your legs..

I'm sure Roger's right about the 'running away with you' issue, and I can see you wouldn't want to be rounding a corner to come across an unexpected obstacle in the road....

byegad

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
As a professional and long distance penny farthing rider I can assure you that the bike running away with you is the main problem.

There's a rule connected with riding pennies "If you can't see the bottom of the hill you don't ride down it"

I stand corrected and thanks.

Sighs.............. Another fine theory blown away by the facts.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Niall Estick said:
A recumbant is like a fat lass.

Ok for a ride but you wouldn't want to be caught riding one.

LOL. I think Niall said all he needed to in the second word alone. First we're all bent, now we secretly harbour desires for stocky ladies. Are we lesbians then? Confused... All the fat lasses around this way are fully faired.

byegad

Legendary Member
:cycle:Shakes head and tiptoes away..............................................

Top Bottom