People calling non-recumbent bikes 'upwrongs'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derall

Guru
Hilldodger said:
afterall, if the recumbent was any good we'd all be riding them.

And I'm sure that people said exactly the same thing about the Safety Bicycle when it first came along. How many Ordinaries do you see around now? :smile: (other than those ridden by cycling historians, obviously...)

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
derall said:
And I'm sure that people said exactly the same thing about the Safety Bicycle when it first came along. How many Ordinaries do you see around now? :smile: (other than those ridden by cycling historians, obviously...)

The most I've seen in one place is 131 at Spokesfet 2003 in Leicester.:smile: And I'm looking at the Guinness World Record certificate now:thumbsup::ohmy:

And that is probably more than the recumbents I've seen in one place;)

AND, the recumbent has been around since at least 1914, so it should have caught on by now:evil:

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
wafflycat said:
The enlightened are already there. And the enlightened love to wind-up miserable folk with no sense of humour :smile:

Exactly:evil::smile:

Although I hardly ever ride any of our recumbents and would much prefer to ride something pre 1900

gavintc

Guru
I think UCI killed off any prospect of recumbent becoming mainstream. They interest me, but currently I am quite happy with my 2 bikes and could not store any more.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
gavintc said:
I think UCI killed off any prospect of recumbent becoming mainstream. They interest me, but currently I am quite happy with my 2 bikes and could not store any more.

A commonly held misconception. If recumbents were significantly better than the diamond frame bike they would be more popular.

They are (I believe) more popular than tandems in terms of sales!

They are a speciality across a wide range of styles - I imagine that if we compared them with other "niche" markets tan the results would be more representative

bonj2

well i'm thnknig about getting one so if and when I do that's when they will have become oficially mainstream.:smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Upwrong is OK, but I prefer ass hatchet myself. Perhaps one might be taking this all a bit too seriously? I'm sure fossyant saw the funny side even if you didn't.

wafflycat

BentMikey said:
Upwrong is OK, but I prefer ass hatchet myself. Perhaps one might be taking this all a bit too seriously? I'm sure fossyant saw the funny side even if you didn't.

Indeed, it's just the same as referring to recumbents as 'the dark side' :sad:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I tend to use DF (when typing) or Wedgie (when talking).
I'm sorely tempted to add 'ass hatchet' to the vocabulary. Splendid. :sad:

To make it a little less rude in a family situation, I'll be pronouncing it to rhyme with attaché.

"Yes, I'm on the dark side, but that's because my assachét turned out to be a spine popper."

Top Bottom