"People" who kick off with the word 'So'!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm a ''Can I have a .....?'' shopper, I always have been. It does often get the mock surprise ''Of course you can, dear!'' but I don't care. Just warning you in case any of you are working behind a till tomorrow.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Phew. I've never really analysed it but it grates. Maybe because Im a rural Northerner and "wouldnt understand such things" or maybe because people who say it are really aspirational w*nkers,. One of them, or both, or possibly neither. Who cares! :smile:

And do you have your Americano-with-room-for-semi-skimmed tall, grande or venti?

gbb

Legendary Member
Personally I can't get that upset about odd words used at the start, middle or end of a sentence...I probably use a few myself at times.
Meh ???.. not a word I ever used outside the internet, but it indicates a ' shrug of the shoulders' mentality quite well.
'So'....my attitude would be..meh.
'Yeah' on the end...I knew someone who did it a lot, he was very overbearing, so it simply made me determined never to use it, ever.
I use bud a lot toward friends, collegues or someone who appears friendly and receptive...ive never had a bad reaction, yet I know it riles some on here.
What the heck, we're all different, all have our idiosyncracies, if we didnt, we'd become THE BORG :ohmy:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It's more and more common to see or hear people begin their turn with the word 'so'. It infuriates me so much as it makes the speaker/writer appear an irredeemable, stuck-up-his/her-own-arse arrogant to55er. I automatically withdraw my interest in anything the person has to contribute to the discussion at hand.

You SO need to get out more, honestly!!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Blame it on the Ian Fletcher character in 2012, but I'm forever saying "So that's all good", usually (like him) at the most inappropriate moment.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Blame it on the Ian Fletcher character in 2012, but I'm forever saying "So that's all good", usually (like him) at the most inappropriate moment.
I hope you don't do that ''Here's the thing...'' thing as well.

sazzaa

Doesn't begin to compare with the ghastly call-centre use of "ourselves", "yourself", "myself" which is creeping into normal usage... Or Sainsbury's "colleague announcements".
Now this annoys me. And "business speak" in general. Makes me cringe.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Oh and people who say "can I get"

"Can I GET a skinny double shot latte with an extra shot and a another shot of yaks milk...
Yes you can "get" it if you come back here and get it your f**king yourself, you're not in an episode of Friends , New York, this is Costa Coffee, Basildon, now say "I would like please" or p**ss Off!!!!!"

Grrrrrr

<and breathe>

Much as I hate to admit it, I am a "Can I get....?" convert. I know it's wrong and I should probably say "I would like....." but it feels natural and I guess this is how language develops. That and watching too many episodes of Breaking Bad. "I would like....." is starting to feel like some dialogue from an episode of Downton

Top Bottom