people who talk absolute b**llocks about the speed they cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

i've seen it on here - people (not mentioning any names :biggrin:) telling a long winded, roundabout and contrived story the only point of which is to emphasise that when something happened they had been cycling for miles at an average of 25mph and it took them by complete surprise, followed by yet more attempts to insignificantise the boast.
Yet looking on singletrackworld.com they are even worse! Every post that even mentions a trail centre is accompanied by ludicrous claims of being able to get round it in a completely unbelievable time. "I can get round dalby in under 2 hours now" :tongue: course you can mate. Course you can.
I've come to the conclusion that anyone talking boastfully about the speed they cycle must only be doing to in order to exaggerate it. Why else would you bother?
Anyone else get this suspicion?

yello

Hmmmm.... could all be true of course. People do cycle at 25mph (wish I could, 25kmph is about my average). It depends on the forum though doesn't it. If they were posting it in relation to a sportive, for instance, then it is not at all boastful. Did I tell you that the sportive I did on Saturday? The guy in first covered the 180km in around 4 hours 15 minutes. That's an average of a little over 40kmph, or around 26mph.

As I say, in the context of a cycling forum, I think it's perfectly acceptable to talk about it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
think it's the equivalent of fishermen's tales…

if you can average 25mph, you should be riding the giro right now. of course there are times when i can go this speed and faster, but i'm sure we all can given the right conditions etc.

you never hear people in the cycling club making proud boasts about speed, they let their legs, not backsides, do the talking.

yello

bonj said:
yes but not when it's lies.

And how, prey tell, do you know?

A 25mph average is entirely possible and within the capabilities any number of folk on this forum.

I'm with yello - I average (according to cyclogs :biggrin:) about 26kmh on my commute. If I look at the counter I try and keep it about 30 - 32 all the way. What is going on?:tongue:
But I have been down the D909 from Bedarieux @ 78kph and I couldn't pedal anymore...At the bottom I am always able to take advantage of the fat bast**d effect and roll under gravity at speed. :biggrin:

As alecstid. says - you got to do it.
Bonj - let people brag if they want to, and take the high ground (then go down faster!:smile: )

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I can average 24.8 miles an hour (I would be lying if I said 25) and I spend most weekends sitting on my arse eating scones and drinking beer.

Admittedly I can't do this (1) for distances over 10 miles (2) consistently (3) where there's hills (4) on a normal bike without tribars (5) if it's windy (6) without being red-faced and with a frightening drool-beard hanging from my chin at the finish.

And it does look like I'm trying to insignificantize (great word!) that boast, true.

yenrod

alecstilleyedye said:
think it's the equivalent of fishermen's tales…

if you can average 25mph, you should be riding the giro right now. of course there are times when i can go this speed and faster, but i'm sure we all can given the right conditions etc.

you never hear people in the cycling club making proud boasts about speed, they let their legs, not backsides, do the talking.

I do average 20-25mph for my 25ml'er I do and even more when I do a chainy ride !

If you dont beleive me Bonj then I'll PM my fone no. to you and I'lll tell you in fact I'll tell you what ill do is take photo of the cycle computer next time I do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! which should be Tue definately unless weather scuppers plans !

I just switch off as soon as any cyclist talks about average speed.

All just seems utterly pointless and boring to me:wacko:

How much tea they drink at a tea stop and types of cake, now that is interesting:ohmy:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
yenrod said:
I do average 20-25mph for my 25ml'er I do and even more when I do a chainy ride !

If you dont beleive me Bonj then I'll PM my fone no. to you and I'lll tell you in fact I'll tell you what ill do is take photo of the cycle computer next time I do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! which should be Tue definately unless weather scuppers plans !

Ahhh but that could be lieing. You could put in your circumfrence is bigger then your wheel size and pretend your going at 25mph when your really only doing 15mph.:biggrin::tongue:
Anyway, i have averaged 22mph, should be able to get 25mph in a group easy. Not sure for how long for, but it should be for a decent time.

Noodley

I imagine it may be your interpretation bonj. Things you don't understand and things you have never done all seem "not real" to you.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yello said:

A 25mph average is entirely possible and within the capabilities any number of folk on this forum.
over a certain choice stretch of road, without a headwind, and not including acceleration, yes. Not over a whole ride with stop and re-accelerate, hills, wind, etc. No way. Not unless you're tour de france material.

palinurus said:
I can average 24.8 miles an hour (I would be lying if I said 25) and I spend most weekends sitting on my arse eating scones and drinking beer.

Admittedly I can't do this (1) for distances over 10 miles (2) consistently (3) where there's hills (4) on a normal bike without tribars (5) if it's windy (6) without being red-faced and with a frightening drool-beard hanging from my chin at the finish.
Exactly. So, not at all then.
You're pointing out in a tongue-in-cheek way that you understand the difference between "i can average 25mph" and "I can DO 25mph."
A difference a lot of people clearly don't want to understand. I think this is one way in which they kid even themselves, so there is cat in hell's chance of them being truthful on a forum.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yello said:

because they don't understand, or don't want to understand the difference between "average" a certain speed and "do" that speed. So if they do a certain speed for more than a few seconds,then that in their mind equates to averaging that speed. It seems most people are susceptible to being tempted to think in this way.

Top Bottom