People with depression

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
FWIW Greedo, i didnt take your question as insensitive. It could maybe have been worded a little better, but even as i think, i couldnt think of another way of putting it.
I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. Your question and concern overall was well intentioned.

yello

In a sense, it doesn't matter what you call it. A rose by any other name etc. That is to say, if it helps the individual through the problem they are having then they can call it what they want.

We do seem to want to label things; and it's not just for effect. People saying they are suffering with depression might be attention seeking (or whatever) but if it helps them to do so then so be it. Besides, it's not going to effect the recovery process of those that are diagnosed with depression!

I was very struck by something that bigonabianchi said... that he had no awareness of the period of time that he was ill for. For all my black moods (moods that have a physical manifestation; I feel heavy& major effort is required to do anything, and I mean anything!), for all of that, I am always aware of the state I'm in. Part of me can see it and, with effort, eventually deal with it. For that single reason, I have never sort out help with dealing with it. I am aware of what's going on.

I'm also afraid a doc would only prescribe drugs and that it just something I do not want. I'm also not concerned with a name for what I may (or may not) have. But if calling it depression helped then I'd call it that.

barq

User76 said:
Be very warned though, looking through these lists, and they cover everything you could possibly have wrong with you, can be very bad for your health!!!!!

As an undergrad I had to learn lots of DSM-IV and ending up self-diagnosing about half of the disorders. :biggrin: Of course the key thing is whether they are clinically significant or not. After all a not inconsiderable percentage of people report having 'heard a voice' at some point in their life, but most of them are doing just fine and don't meet the diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tetedelacourse said:
It's difficult to deduct whether there's a higher prevalence of Depression amongst the members here than in the general population because there are a lot of factors to consider; how comfortable you are with divulging such information to relative strangers (can work both ways), how often you log on, what sort of stage you are at in the illness, whether you have been diagnosed, who else posts a response and so on and so forth.

Not so sure about Noodley's point. I have my own theories about the membership here: it's characterised by mainly males, whose age distribution centres around 35-45 year olds, who have a higher disposable income than the national average, and who are physically in better shape than the majority.

This may well be hokum however!

If these any, most or all of these characteristics are common to sufferers of Depression then you might conclude that there's a higher prevalence here than in the gen. pop.

QUOTE]

I like your thinking here. I recall an articles I saw/read/imagined which stated that many depresson sufferers as well as autistic people derived some therapeutic benefit from repeated rhythmic exercise. Cycling wouuld fit the bill as would say jogging/distance running. It would be interesting to see if depression was as prevalent in Runners as it seems in cyclists compared to other sport participants in say team sports.
Or like Noodles suggest (nice hat this year btw) it's just a reflection of the prevelance in society.
For the record, treated with mild medication twice and most recently Prozac'd and Counselling following cardiac and job-burnout issues. Been good for some 2 years now. Slowly eradicating the triggers/causes from my life...
Oh, and I'm past the mid life crisis now too!

yenrod

>I have read that physical exerscise is a great way of beating this illness and given the fact most people on here are regular cyclists does this not help?

I used to ride 15 hours / 2 ton mls a week orso and have still felt down...over a long period of time mainly its the regularity of the level of exercise that was doing my head in but the other side of it is that the level of fitness gained from them is not touched by many other sports.

Top Bottom