1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Percy still Avoiding Europe

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by HJ, 23 Jul 2007.

1. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

The C+ crowd may well remember Percy who set out to cycle round Europe, whilst Avoiding Europe. Well as he is not aware of the catastrophe that over took the old C+ forum, he has posted an update on the other place, if you would like to catch up here is the link http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12538191.

2. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I am in awe...absolutly brilliant. One day i will do something similar. Jus tbeing free like that must be the mutz nutz.

3. Percy

Percy Well-Known Member

Ah - thanks Hairy Jock. I thought the change to the Radar forum was a bit weird. I'll come here from now on...

4. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

WRT to Shimano, I use this on my tourer for commuting and much shorter tours than yours. Neverthless, I do think it wears out too quickly. I seem to get through cassettes and chain-rings in no time.

I've got Alesa endeavour rims and they seem to be standing the test of time and distance. Having just done a camping Raid Pyrenean with lots of heavy braking before the hairpins I was very pleased how little they'd worn (unlike the Aztec brake pads that didn't last long).

5. psmiffy

psmiffy -

(my post other place before I found here)

I use 26 inch sun rhinos with XT hubs – very heavily loaded and a lot of up and heavy braking going down in wet - my first set lasted 20000 km before the rear rim started to part – rear bearings and freehub were becoming a little wobbly the front rim was OK front hub not bad at all – Ive changed the rear cassette about every 8000 km before it became too worn – chains about every 4000km – new set have done 5500km and are showing very little sign of wear

Seems pretty good to me

6. Percy

Percy Well-Known Member

I probably will write to them when I have time. I no longer have the broken hub or the rim - they got left in the shop that put a new wheel on for me. I have photos though. This is my hub (if the pic works ok) - I think about 7000 miles in total, with 4000 of those being loaded and continuous over the last 5 months...