Perfect bike touring tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
ray mears uses them all the time so they can't be all that bad.
edit ooops

Did you know that behind the camera Ray Mears has all life's mod cons at his disposal - a luxury caravan or cabin with air con, shower and a jacuzzi, a fully kitted out kitchen, lounge with huge sofa, flat screen TV, DVD player surround sound, huge comfy double bed, he loves his mod cons, takes his comfort and gadgets seriously apparently even if it means lugging it all hundreds of miles through jungle or across tundra.

This guy managed alright using one for nearly 18000 miles http://www.crazyguyo...doc/longwayhome Seems he never really had trouble finding somewhere to hang it, with a little creativity that is. He also used it like a bivvy bag a couple of times. Each to their own I say.

jags

Guru
Did you know that behind the camera Ray Mears has all life's mod cons at his disposal - a luxury caravan or cabin with air con, shower and a jacuzzi, a fully kitted out kitchen, lounge with huge sofa, flat screen TV, DVD player surround sound, huge comfy double bed, he loves his mod cons, takes his comfort and gadgets seriously apparently even if it means lugging it all hundreds of miles through jungle or across tundra.

emm not sure if your pulling my tail or not, but regardless he sure know's his bush craft.
nah your pulling my tail......

Crankarm

Guru
emm not sure if your pulling my tail or not, but regardless he sure know's his bush craft.
nah your pulling my tail......

Indeed he does. He is extremely knowledgeable and very engaging. I very much like his programmes. He has made some brilliant programmes recreating epic journeys and escapes. But he also loves mod cons and labour saving devices which he is not shy about admittting.

jags

Guru
i would have thought he would be the last person to be into mod con's.
but there you go you learn something new every day.

I have the ultralight backpacker which I have used for wild camping. getting in and out of a sleeping bag and on to your Thermarest is quite a challenge but it is VERY comfortable once you get settled in. it is a lot quicker to set up and break down than a tent. You most definitely need to use a Thermarest even in moderate weather or you will freeze.
There are pros and cons with any system but I really like the Hennessy.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
if your budget is tight, this isn't a bad tent... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Glen-Orchy-Two-Tent/dp/B001S47FI2

Foot room is limited if like me, you're 6'3" on a 5" air matress... and like all two man tents, it's a one man.

It's easy to put up and the poles are short so perfect for bike luggage.

although there are far better toents available, this is a good low budget option.

bigjim

Legendary Member
My £7.50 Asda tent survived 2 nights of torrential rain and wind without any problems. I only just fit in lengthways at 6'2" but good headroom to sit up and enough width to fit panniers etc. Weighs 1.3K. Throw it away if you don't like it.

asdatent.jpg

billflat12

Veteran
halfrauds 1man single skin, touch the sides an you get wet,
gelert worm tent ok if your a midget, sold mine after realising how small they really are , youll also find they are 2kg not the 1.5. kg stated.

OP
OP
vikingcyclist

vikingcyclist

Not a wind up at all - and I have a tent for living in, the idea of getting one of these would be purely for sleeping - no ambition to use it as a base, just as a quick place to spend the night.

Since wild sleeping is the idea I'm going for, being able to quickly throw it up in a wooded area, and take down and pack away without fiddling around with pegs, guys, poles and so forth seems ideal. The original idea was to just use a good mountaineering sleeping bag, and a tarp or bivvy bag.

jay clock

Massive member
Agreed there are quite a few US cyclists on Crazy Guy who go for these. I can see all sorts of reasons why it would not be ideal for me.

http://www.quechua.com/EN/t2-ultralight-pro-4225812/# is what I have. As an interesting addition I have now bought one of these hammocks as an EXTRA to take along possibly. http://www.facewest.co.uk/Exped-Scout-Hammock.html weighs 330g, could be a nice early evening place to relax but I can't see myslef spending all night on it (dew and mozzies being major reasons).

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
We've got the Hilleberg Nallo GT2 for cycle camping. As most of our trips are out in the Highlands I wouldn't want to spend any time in anything that didn't have some sort of midge screen. The 10 minutes you spend making a brew and putting the tent up is enough to get seriously bitten, and I've yet to find an insect repellent that does much more than reduce the number of bites.

Sam

Top Bottom