Perfect garden office / pain cave size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhysito

Hi All,
I have a small garden but I want to set up a small office and a training bike. What do you think is the smallest size office / shed I can get away with?
Best
Steve

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You need the biggest you can get away with.

OP
OP
Rhysito

Rhysito

You need the biggest you can get away with.

I hear you, but I am in a delicate dance with my partner. If I pitch to big, I will be shut down, but if I pitch too small I will be stuck training with no elbow room!

D

Deleted member 26715

Twice as big as you initially think, your partner will start to store their stuff in it, if you can make a veranda, so you can open the front up but still stay dry in the rain.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If it's any help, my box room is 6'6" square and I can fit a small desk in, a table with a printer, my ironing board and washing basket. If it was just the desk, there would easily be enough room for a bike/turbo trainer. But you wouldn't have much room for anything else. I was considering the same in my garden, and was looking at 6x8 or 7x8 foot. but that would take up literally half the garden so we decided against it.

It adds value to your house, you know. With people working from home, a garden office really is a valuable selling point.

Perhaps talk about that rather than what you want from it.

zfZI0jT.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
You would also need to consider ventilation as condensation can build up from all that sweating and heavy breathing (even before you get off the computer and on your bike) and security, if your bike and office stuff are going to stay in there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd be interested to see what quantitative answers turn up. I have space for a 2.5m square cabin/shed/thing in my garden. Seems a bit small to me.

Although I know in my heart if I did build such a thing it would soon just become so stuffed with crap that there would be no room for a person.

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi All,
I have a small garden but I want to set up a small office and a training bike. What do you think is the smallest size office / shed I can get away with?
Best
Steve

Bigger than you think. You can if memory serves me correctly have up to 50% of your garden curtilage built on if its less than 4m to the ridge and 2.5to the eaves. I built a 5m* 5m internal dimensions summer house for the wife, which she could use as an office and relaxing room. Once she got a sofa and office table in there, it looked small

We've moved now-wife still misses her summer house
DJI_0149 (2).JPG

20220302_121758.jpg

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
I would echo what others have said, bigger the better. We have quite a large summer house at the bottom of the garden.

Well, I thought it was large until the furniture, TV, hifi etc went in there.

And I would also echo what others have said about it becoming a "dumping ground", if ever we need to store something from the house, yes it gets put in the summer house!

Top Bottom