Performance tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Need new tyres. Currently have some crappy Vittoria Open Corsa Evos and looking to purchase some performance oriented tyres. Not looking for budget ones What do you recommend?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Need new tyres. Currently have some crappy Vittoria Open Corsa Evos and looking to purchase some performance oriented tyres. Not looking for budget ones What do you recommend?

Depends what you mean by performance. Speed? Comfort? Grip? Puncture protection?

If the answer is all four then you will need to consult with the sacred oracle of the tyres.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Depends what you mean by performance. Speed? Comfort? Grip? Puncture protection?

If the answer is all four then you will need to consult with the sacred oracle of the tyres.

Speed and durability. Obviously the more of the other aspects the better.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The fastest tyres I have on one of mine are Continental Grand Prix 'supersonic' but they have the puncture resistance of a soggy paper bag so they are on a spare pair of wheels that occasionally get fitted to my Raleigh 531 'sprint' bike when I fancy a high speed blast. Grip is OK on dry sunny roads though I wouldn't ride them in the rain. :whistle:

gavintc

Guru
Got some michelin pro4 from ribble for a good price last week. I use them on my summer bike and like them 200g per tyre and as puncture resistant as most.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Over to 'the other's from here on in then...I'm all about puncture protection :pump:

I agree. I like going fast as:hyper:. Punctures tend to slow me down rather significantly so extra protection is an intrinsic part of wanting to go fast imo.

Open Corsa Evo IS a performance tyre. Or it was last time I checked. Why do you think it is 'crappy'?

It is crappy because it is worn out. The rear one has a gash on the centre of the tyre although it is still useable (just been out riding on it today). They were great when they were new but I want to try something else. I previously had GP4000s and I remember them cracking up significantly over time.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I previously had GP4000s and I remember them cracking up significantly over time.

What did you like about the GP4000s?

Citius

It is crappy because it is worn out. The rear one has a gash on the centre of the tyre although it is still useable (just been out riding on it today). They were great when they were new but I want to try something else. I previously had GP4000s and I remember them cracking up significantly over time.

'Crappy' probably not the right word to use then, as it implies something which is not very good. Anyway, I see you don't like GP4000S either - whcih would have been my suggestion. Probably the best all-round performance tyre out there.

Last edited:

gavintc

Guru
I agree. I like going fast as:hyper:. Punctures tend to slow me down rather significantly so extra protection is an intrinsic part of wanting to go fast imo.

You either want puncture resistance or performance. Asking for performance recommends and then proposing that you really want puncture resistance is like asking someone to recommend a non fattening cake.

OP
OP
U

User16625

You either want puncture resistance or performance. Asking for performance recommends and then proposing that you really want puncture resistance is like asking someone to recommend a non fattening cake.

Fair enough, just goes to show how much I know about such things. I think I will try those Pro 4s mentioned earlier. Reviews seem to be good.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Vittoria Open Pave CG 24c.

Or Pro 4s, but don't expect a long life from them .... but they are God's own tyre. The Vittorias are almost as good but harder wearing. The tubular version is what the pros use for Paris Roubaix.

Top Bottom