Perseverance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Fingers crossed there is an HD video of the final descent, that would be AWESOME to see.

Yes, looking forward to it. It is possible that there might be images from before 60 seconds from touchdown. Alhought the backshell enclosing most of the rover was discarded at that point, the heatshield disc beneath it was dropped 90 seconds earlier and it is possible that this exposed a downward facing cam. I guess we will have to wait and see.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Enceladus does look cool! But you can't have your cake and eat it:
sure, criticise the elaborate sky-crane - but then propose missions to SATURN?!?
I think you need to take another look at the Cassini mission in the 90s; a hugely successful international collaboration that put an orbiter around Saturn for many years and a lander onto Titan.
Along the way it did a flyby of Enceladus and had a taste of the oceanic plumes to identify liquid water. It also had a good close look at Saturn's rings.

Cassini was just awesome; possibly the best space mission yet. I might even say the Mars missions are a bit boring in comparison, although evidence of past life on Mars would be quite the event.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I did not know this, but pretty cool. There's a drone helicopter on board the rover, running Linux, using open source software, and with a mobile phone processor.

It's just a proof-of-concept, but if it works and fulfils its mission, it could potentially pave the way for using off-the-shelf components in future missions.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton...erance-helicopter-rover-fly-autonomously-mars

They should have done quantum entanglement and installed a quantum computer. Then they’d be able to do instant commands / communication to the helicopter.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
1613760667836.png

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
I believe NASA have now released *real* sound recordings from 2 mikes on the craft. (I've lost the link now - it popped up on the MSN home page, sorry ...) Basically just wind noise, I think, but still quite exciting for some!
The recording was a bit of a let down, just a gust of wind like any other, but then, there's no reason to expect that it would sound any different.

The images of the descent, though, amazing.

Top Bottom