Personal best - nearly!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
barq

barq

Tetedelacourse said:
Me agree, it aint under unless it reads under when you stop!

Although there is that annoyance of finishing, getting off the bike and seeing the computer still merrily ticking away for a few seconds. I guess its the same for every ride and that's what matters.

walker

barq said:
Any one else come close to doing a personal best on the bike, only to be thwarted by something stupid?

For ages I've been trying to get a particular weekday evening ride done in under 35 minutes. As it is mostly off-road this so called 'summer' hasn't exactly been on my side as the mud has been inches deep. A good time on this ride also requires me to not meet (too m)any horses, walkers, dogs and so on.

Last night everything was perfect. The ground was dry and not too loose. The dogs/children were under control. All along the way the signs were good. At certain key points I noted I was ahead of my personal best by a few seconds and gaining - 35 minutes was within my grasp! The heart rate monitor was encouraging too - I was working hard but not utterly maxed out. After four years of cycling this circuit, this was going to be the day that I finally cracked the 35 minute mark.

Then, in the final off road section, I skidded to a halt in front of a mahoosive fallen tree blocking the entire bridleway. I had to stop, get off my bike, and climb through the fallen tree. At this point I looked at my cycle computer which was still happily counting away - it always seems to take about six seconds to realise I've stopped.

So I got back home with 35.13 on the clock. Dammit! :biggrin:

I've never even been to Guildford, how can I get in your way?;)

JamesAC

barq said:
<snip>>..Then, in the final off road section, I skidded to a halt in front of a mahoosive fallen tree blocking the entire bridleway. I had to stop, get off my bike, and climb through the fallen tree. At this point I looked at my cycle computer which was still happily counting away - it always seems to take about six seconds to realise I've stopped.

So I got back home with 35.13 on the clock. Dammit! ;)

Maybe you could branch out on a different root? Take a trunk road? Or just leaf it alone altogether!!
:biggrin::biggrin:

got-to-get-fit

you know that if you do get that under 35 mins pb the elation will only last an hour or so then you will be thinking about trying to get under 34mins.......dont torture yourself man, people have gone insane over less.

Keith Oates

Janner
The elation should last longer than that ,gtgf. How long does it take to tell all the friends family etc. (and the forum) that you've achieved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
barq

barq

got-to-get-fit said:
you know that if you do get that under 35 mins pb the elation will only last an hour or so then you will be thinking about trying to get under 34mins.......dont torture yourself man, people have gone insane over less.

:ohmy: Too late I'm afraid. I went through all of this to break 45mins, 40 mins, 38 mins...

OP
OP
barq

barq

Update: I finally made it - 34m54s. I knew I was pretty much there so its nice to finally make it! I'm sure a lot of you know how it feels to manage a long standing goal. Cheers guys... :ohmy:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
longers said:
Well done barq :biggrin:, what next?

Around The World In Eighty Gears ! :ohmy: :biggrin:

Top Bottom