Personal symbolic gestures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Today I stuck my ride diary on the fire. I've been keeping the diary since 2005, just to record notes on rides etc, nothing profound like life thoughts or anything. None-the-less, it did contain memories. Burning it was entirely symbolic, a desire to mark a change in direction. A kind of catharsis even.

My Garmin GPS might well follow. Not into the fire obviously, but to be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way. I just don't do that kind of riding anymore

I wondered if anyone else has ever done such a thing, be it cycling related or otherwise.

Edit: it's also an acknowledgement that we need to de-clutter if we are to move to a smaller place (as planned) in the foreseeable.... so there is a practical side to it too :laugh: 'Excess' bikes to go too (N-1) Bike gear too. Don't ask if there's anything available, postage and possibly duties would probably make it a non-starter ;)

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I got rid of all my suits, shirts and ties in one fell swoop when I quit the lucrative but ultimately life-consuming corporate rat-race in 2004.

My most radical symbolic gesture to date and one that marked a major lifestyle shift.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I got rid of all my suits, shirts and ties in one fell swoop when I quit the lucrative but ultimately life-consuming corporate rat-race in 2004.

:laugh:

You've reminded me; after we moved to France, I was gardening in old work (office) trou and shirts :laugh: but that was as much practical as symbolic! And after the fact. They didn't last long in that role however, quickly wore out. I think I still have one suit; for weddings, funerals and court appearances!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
After my divorce I started writing a book for my daughter who was only three at the time to show/tell her the truth, when that was done I wrote another book all about my family from the day I was born with loads of photos.
After that I started a diary of every day things, some thirty years later I did meet up with my daughter, she had all ready made up her mind on who's fault it was, she never saw the books..............
I came home and put the lot through the shredder.............

numbnuts

Legendary Member
That is really really saddening.

I hope you found some pleasure/comfort/truth/solace/healing in writing those books. I'm sure you did. If so, it wasn't wasted effort.

I think writing about a bad time of your life gives you time to reflect on the past as a sort of graving process just like you do when someone dies.
Other times when I have re-read them I cried............as I didn't want this to happen.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I agree with you, writing of sad times can be a part of a grieving process. I find writing to be a way of working out what I really mean and/or feel. It's my route to an honesty.

GetFatty

Über Member
My partner wants me to start getting rid of some cycling stuff as I've not been on a bike since we got a puppy in April. I'm still resisting on the basis of when the dog is slightly older I may have some time for cycling

Reactions: gbb

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Today I stuck my ride diary on the fire. I've been keeping the diary since 2005, just to record notes on rides etc, nothing profound like life thoughts or anything. None-the-less, it did contain memories. Burning it was entirely symbolic, a desire to mark a change in direction. A kind of catharsis even.

My Garmin GPS might well follow. Not into the fire obviously, but to be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way. I just don't do that kind of riding anymore

I wondered if anyone else has ever done such a thing, be it cycling related or otherwise.

Edit: it's also an acknowledgement that we need to de-clutter if we are to move to a smaller place (as planned) in the foreseeable.... so there is a practical side to it too :laugh: 'Excess' bikes to go too (N-1) Bike gear too. Don't ask if there's anything available, postage and possibly duties would probably make it a non-starter ;)
I've never kept anything like a traditional ride diary, but I do love GPS tracking apps, and also GPS-tagged photos. From time to time I do look back at this data, or share it, or use it to revisit places that I might otherwise forget.

A declutter can be a wonderful thing, both in the digital and physical realms, but I couldn't 'burn' everything.

OP
OP
Y

yello

A declutter can be a wonderful thing, both in the digital and physical realms, but I couldn't 'burn' everything.

I'd already deleted my Strava and Garmin accounts, and all my tcx/gmn ride history from my laptop. That was surprisingly painless. The burning of the diary however feels more poignant. There's no sadness involved (despite the meaning/implication of 'poignant') Quite the opposite. It feels more like a new and undiscovered road has been taken.

Following an illness in 2003, partly brought on by too much riding and very busy job, took "bike computers" (as they were then) off my bikes, chucked them, and never been replaced/never got into the Garmin/Strava thing etc., have simply ridden for the past 18 odd years sans I.T. and loved it, just as much as the previous many years with carefully detailed ride data.

Life changes.

Top Bottom