Personal symbolic gestures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many years ago - when I was 16 - I did French 'O' level - we had notes about 100 questions and our pre-prepared answers
We had to learn them parrot fashion - never my strong point
I hated the damn things
In the event at the exam the teacher asked me the questions and I couldn;t remember a damn thing so I just made up an answer in French, on the spot.
I did get some 'looks' from the teacher - but I did pass

Anyway - back to the point - when I got home I took all the notes into the yard and set fire to the damn thing
I expected it to feel good but it didn't
haven't really done any symbolic purging thing since

Having said which I kept hold of a lot of my parent's stuff for several years after I got my new house - couldn't face getting rid of them even though they really didn't suit the house at all
Did eventually get rid of them - for far less than they were worth - and it was a relief - but only because I could get something more suited to me and the house

All uphill

Still rolling along
I do this occasionally; something that used to be a pleasure becomes routine, then becomes a burden and I suddenly decide to leave it behind.

An example is dinghy sailing. Did it for years and loved it. Then one day I decided to get rid of everything linked to the sailing and managed that within a week. Such a relief but not easy for some people to understand.

OP
OP
Y

yello

something that used to be a pleasure becomes routine, then becomes a burden and I suddenly decide to leave it behind.
Such a relief but not easy for some people to understand.
I get that. I reckon sometimes you just feel the need to move on, not so much to re-invent yourself but to not let yourself be defined today/tomorrow by your own past.

I've chucked a couple of things in the Thames in my time.

One to do with a job, the other a woman.

I'm sure that river could tell thousands of tales.

Pretty chilled these days, I don't think the Thames will be getting a third offering.

Can we assume she survived???
best to be clear about this sort of thing
no one was harmed - it is just possible that the thing I chucked with regard to the woman is still in there in some really very degraded unrecognisable form - in fact when passing the place I chucked it years later I thought for a second I'd spotted it - but a moment's thought told me no. The work thing will very definitely be gone - chucked off London Bridge one wet blustery night.

There's a very good book about Thames mudlarking written by a woman - she says she quite often comes across things she thinks are to do with ended "relationships" - some she returns to the river as offerings - reckons the things will be jinxed/shouldn't be disturbed.

I delete emails selling disc-brakes - without even reading them.

Chief Broom

Veteran
More of a 'I gotta get outa this place' than a symbolic gesture....sold my home/motorbike/car and gave lots of stuff away, bought a van and a tent drove up to the highlands and have never been back or looked back. :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
My partner wants me to start getting rid of some cycling stuff as I've not been on a bike since we got a puppy in April. I'm still resisting on the basis of when the dog is slightly older I may have some time for cycling
Arthritis has effectively ended my cycling and it took me a long time to come to terms with it....but I now find myself ridding my cupboards and drawers of cycling clothes, and parafinalia....without any regret any more.
its quite liberating, no longer holding false hope.
But hang in there if the mind is still willing
:okay:

Top Bottom