Pet Hates things you hate that other road users do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
Motorists who drive off and forget to turn their hazard lights off.

Pedestrians who walk in to the road when I'm bombing along, they see a cyclist coming and think "it's only a cyclist", then they wonder why they nearly get runover by a cyclist.

Motorists who race to get ahead of me only to come up to traffic lights and end up being behind me again.

Motorists who drive with badly adjusted headlights

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Motorists Cyclists who race to get ahead of me only to come up to traffic lights and end up being behind me again.

Which is what happened to me, except that the eejit I had just overtaken didn't stop at the lights, which is cheating to me.

Most of these have been covered before...

• Holding their mobile phone whilst driving - bad practice and against the law!
  • Pedestrians crossing the road and making us cyclists avoid them rather than pause and let us pass (Pedestrians who walk in to the road when I'm bombing along, they see a cyclist coming and think "it's only a cyclist", then they wonder why they nearly get run-over by a cyclist.)
  • Vehicles who do not follow subtle change in road direction and continue in a straight line, if road goes to the right, we both end up in the gutter
  • Vehicles who force their way through a gap between the curb and traffic island when I was there first!
  • Those vehicles who accelerate to overtake, only to slam on their breaks as they turn left
  • cyclists who blatantly ignore the highway code (very few are totally squeaky clean but some are so blatant)
  • Those vehicles who insist on overtaking ona blind bend, see a vehicle coming, panic and then force me into the gutter for the sake of waiting a few seconds

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
nothing wrong with doing 41mph in a national speed limit zone. If you don't like the speed you can overtake when safe to do so. Same principle applies to cylists in a 30 limit.

Appropriate speed depends on the conditions (blind bends/summits anyone?)

Well, quite! And I certainly wouldn't pop my bike onto the opposite carriageway and overtake on a blind bend or when approaching a hidden dip! I will, however, scoot out over the white line and overtake when presented with a driver doing 40 along a clear stretch of road with good visibility. The nice thing about the bike is that I don't even need to get het up about that driver, I just wait, hang back and accelerate past when safe to do so! (and leave behind all the irate drivers who don't have the acceleration to get past
tongue.gif
)

sabian92

Über Member
I've actually got a gripe about what another cyclist did to me this morning...

I was riding to college (only 1.3 miles, so it's only just under 10 minutes usually) and some divv was screaming along, in first gear... on a bike. He was doing 4mph (according to my bike computer) and he was riding so slowly he was finding it hard to steer. He was swerving about on a road full of lorries and vans, without a care in the world. He went the same way as me down a side road, then had the gall to shout at me for overtaking him too quickly on the downhill!

F*cking idiot.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
When I overtake another cyclist because I just happen to be commuting faster than they are, and they treat it as a race, puffing and wheezing as they overtake me again, only to slow down up ahead and make me pass them yet again.

Top Bottom