Pet Hates things you hate that other road users do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hate cyclists and horse riders (or anyone really, but these seem to be the main culprits) who, when I wait behind them on the approach to a blind bend ... WAVE ME ON TO PASS!!!!

LOOK, I am the driver of this car and I will decide when it is safe to overtake: Until then, please procede as normal, pull off the road if you choose, or just let me sit here until it is SAFE (in my judgement). Don't try to drive my car!

(Yes it happened again today, poor chap was probably a bit tired, it was a long hill, still on a blind harepin!!!!

Why hate someone who is trying to help / assist you ? You don't have to take their advice and occasionaly it is best to wait and make your own decision. But at the end of the day they are trying to be courteous, and that is good.

Fair point, being waved past can be helpful, but I've found people becoming increasingly aggresive trying to get me to pass them. As Mad@urage says, it's for the driver to decide when it's safe to pass and having someone on a horse or a bike frantically gesticulating just becauase they can see round a blind bend when you can't doesn't really help.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Cycling home from the Rowing Club (I have just started again) last Wednesday, I was taking the cycling path from the SECC (Glasgow) west towards Dumbarton, but becuase I had knackered myself on the Ergos, I wasn't exactly breaking any speed records (despite being on the Felt TT bike).
Anyway, I was happily following a bearded guy on a green BSO thingimybobber and with a VW Campervan bag, as he wasn't exactly going slowly, and I eventually overtook him, only to be stopped at the lights at the junction to the new Tr*nsport Museum.

What did he do?? he mounted the pavement (admittedly a cycle path) and just went across the pedestrian crossing. That I could just about live with, although I was pretty miffed, but a few seconds later, another cyclist with a big yellow bag came right past me and simply RLJed across the junction without any regard for his safety.

I stood there and made a hand jesture at him, and the driver in the car behind me was certainly in agreement with me!

I tried to catch up with him, but the lights were at red for so long that I only ever saw him in the distance after that.
I'd have LOVED to have given him a piece of my mind!

Bicycle

1. People who are too close to me when driving or riding ahead of me.

Don't they understand stopping distances?

2. People who 'didn't know' I was going to turn or pull out just because I didn't indicate.

God! I, like, live in this town! Where did they think I was going to go? Why should I indicate? How dare they prescribe?

I find that sort of ignorance infuriating.

3. People who aren't looking when I reverse out of my drive. I wash my car four times a week and I DO NOT WANT THAT PAINTWORK DAMAGED!

Gosh, that feels much better.

:smile:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
To the utter, utter, utter cretin who parked so close to a traffic island (on double yellow lines) that the bus couldn't get through ... congratulations! You blocked the ENTIRE high st. while the bus driver had to inch past your vehicle, with two wheels up on the traffic island. You are a complete pillock with absolutely no idea about what is going on around you.

I hate cyclists and horse riders (or anyone really, but these seem to be the main culprits) who, when I wait behind them on the approach to a blind bend ... WAVE ME ON TO PASS!!!!

LOOK, I am the driver of this car and I will decide when it is safe to overtake: Until then, please procede as normal, pull off the road if you choose, or just let me sit here until it is SAFE (in my judgement). Don't try to drive my car!

(Yes it happened again today, poor chap was probably a bit tired, it was a long hill, still on a blind harepin!!!!

You are right - you need to make the judgement yourself.

I rarely do this, but sometimes I have done so. I do it with the main intention of allowing someone to prepare to overtake sooner... and I only do it when I am sure if they did overtake instantly, they would be okay.

(oh, and I would only do it at a bend when I have view around said bend - although I think you are suggesting this is not the case above?)

People who start lists on cycling forums about pet hates.................. ;) :biggrin:

Many of the aforementioned and the ubiquitous 41mph motorist. You know the ones, you follow them for miles on a road you can't overtake on, them doing a steady 41mph, then you get to a village, slow to the 30mph limit, only to see them sail serenely into the distance at their still steady 41mph :angry:

Many of the aforementioned and the ubiquitous 41mph motorist. You know the ones, you follow them for miles on a road you can't overtake on, them doing a steady 41mph, then you get to a village, slow to the 30mph limit, only to see them sail serenely into the distance at their still steady 41mph :angry:

+1

Jezston

Über Member
1. People who are too close to me when driving or riding ahead of me.

Don't they understand stopping distances?

2. People who 'didn't know' I was going to turn or pull out just because I didn't indicate.

God! I, like, live in this town! Where did they think I was going to go? Why should I indicate? How dare they prescribe?

I find that sort of ignorance infuriating.

3. People who aren't looking when I reverse out of my drive. I wash my car four times a week and I DO NOT WANT THAT PAINTWORK DAMAGED!

Gosh, that feels much better.

:smile:

Wait ... what?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Classic example is if a lorry that you have been following for a while uses his left indicator; is he telling you its safe to pass or is he turning left ?
Is he pulling into the left (wants you to pass), or moving out to the right (making space for his turn)? Is there a junction of any kind ahead?

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense

This is why I have a motorbike ...
biggrin.gif

dand_uk

nothing wrong with doing 41mph in a national speed limit zone. If you don't like the speed you can overtake when safe to do so. Same principle applies to cylists in a 30 limit.

Appropriate speed depends on the conditions (blind bends/summits anyone?)

Yes, but continuing on to do exactly the same speed throuhg towns and villages most definitely isn't. This type of motorist is so unaware of both their surroundings and their speed within said surroundings that they are a danger to others.

Top Bottom