Pete Shelley - Buzzcocks singer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes i totally understand not wanting to be spat on :smile:
Didn't know about the champagne thing, though to be honest it's not a crime to drink champagne. Somewhat over-rated.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I can understand Shelley's adverse reaction to being spat on even if it was a sign of appreciation.

He was something of a diva in other ways as was revealed in a Radio 4 documentary about contract 'riders' - little or not so little extras bands insist on before they perform.

The Buzzcocks, if I recall, had to have a crate of Moet et Chandon Non-Vintage in their dressing room.

One promoter couldn't get it, so substituted more expensive vintage champagne.

The band rejected it.

As the manager said at the time: "No Moet, no show-ay, no Chandon, no band on."

Which goes to show they were just as far up their own backsides as the old dinosaur rock bands they were seeking to replace.

The fame went to their heads....... the early 1976/77 were a great time......

albal

Guru
  1. How may "genuine" punk bands were there? The Pistols obviously, and then? The Clash were an electrified skiffle group of middle class kids pretending to slum it. The stranglers read philosophy, spoke French and were melodic. So apart from the Slits and the Ramones, who else?
ETA: oh, the Damned, of course, the Damned.
Crass discharge

according to a TV prog I saw in Italy it happened in the 80s. I thought I'd slipped into an alternative universe.

By the by, Viv Albertine of the slits reckoned that a lot of folk involved in the punk movement/scene or whatever were on the spectrum.

Last edited:
Erm, hiding in plain sight! How could I or anyone have missed that??
You may have missed it,,,,,,,, but according to the Wikipedia, the BBC was hip to it ...
The song was banned by the BBC for its "explicit reference to gay sex" with the lyrics "homo superior / in my interior".
Incidentally I don't remember the mix sounding like that. Was that a special gay disco version?
That feels like the same version I heard at the time. The video is definitely the one that was on high rotation on Countdown - it was a huge hit in Australia, more than the Buzzcocks.

I had to edit the Wikipedia entry for Countdown. Australians don't seem to care about Wikipedia, there are blaring errors on every Aussie Wikipedia page I visit.

albal

Guru
Crass were utterly ridiculous but I guess they did espouse the "punk" ethos at least
Correct. One of the few bands to live the 'punk' life. I admired them for their stance. Incidentally back in 84 I think was due to see them perform for it be cancelled at the last minute, never did find out why, tho The Poison Girls were there already , they invited us into their van( an old st.john Ambulance) for a natter and gave us loads of freebies. Ahh fond memories .

Justified_Sinner

This is well worth a read:

IMG_20210616_125706_527.jpg

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ever-Fallen-Love-Buzzcocks-Tapes/dp/178840288X/

geocycle

Legendary Member
Legend has it my economics teacher played bass guitar with the Buzzcocks before they broke through. It was the only reason I tolerated the Friedman - Keynes complexities.

Top Bottom