Pete Shelley - Buzzcocks singer

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by 172traindriver, 6 Dec 2018.

1. 172traindriver

172traindriver Legendary Member

Just seen on BBC news he has passed away suddenly.
    Happy days watching him and others leading the punk movement.
    RIP Pete

albal, Blue Hills, GuyBoden and 7 others like this.
  2. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/buzzcocks-pete-shelley-dead-heart-15518344
    I saw them 3 times at Blackburn's King George's Hall,so i must have liked them a bit.

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

That's sad. He was very talented. Used to love the Buzzcocks

GuyBoden likes this.
  4. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Too young,saw them a few times.RIP

GuyBoden likes this.
  5. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo Parks, Hotels and Palaces, Europe Endless.

Leigh's finest gone. Sad day

GuyBoden likes this.
  6. The Crofted Crest

The Crofted Crest Senior Member

That is really sad news. RIP, Pete.

GuyBoden likes this.
  7. "Sop chuckin' f..k..g beer mats you self-gratification artists,or we go off" said Pete Shelly to the audience when someone found a box of them behind the bar and passed them around so we could throw them at the stage in appreciation. Heck that was 40 long years ago!

I wonder if he shortened his first name to stop being confused with this bloke?

Last edited: 6 Dec 2018
    Chris S and GuyBoden like this.
  8. greenmark

greenmark Veteran

9. But i thought the opening song in the 80's and 90's was this one?:scratch:

10. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

RIP Pete Shelley

The first guitar riff I learned back in 1977, was Boredom by Buzzcocks. (Off the Spiral Scratch EP with Devoto singing)
    The two note solo was beyond my ability.^_^Great stuff at the time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYiQ8Qsozk

robjh, Adam4868 and Fnaar like this.
  11. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Oh shoot.

The Crofted Crest likes this.
  12. Another part of my youth gone. I discovered the Buzzcocks in 1978 and absolutely loved them.

I still have some of their records in a box upstairs - Spiral Scratch, Everybody's Happy Nowadays, Ever Fallen in Love, as well as their first album (hm, not their greatest work) - and if I still had a turntable I would go off and play them now.

13. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

There were a few bands of the punk era that had genuine songwriting ability such as The Jam, The Damned, The Clash. I'd put the Buzzcocks up there with them

Blue Hills and robjh like this.
  14. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

I was almost certainly at one of those accy for I too saw them at Blackburn King George's Hall in the pretty early days.

And re your recollection below, I do remember Pete Shelley, in his rather petulant sounding voice (at the time I wondered if it was for real so unpunk did it sound) stopping the band and threatening to walk from the stage if people didn't stop spitting at them - for some reason at the time thought to be a mark of appreciation.

Great band, great songs - besides the drive and aggression there was a real melodic pop sensibility about them.

I saw them again years later in London (90s I guess) - still a great band but there was something odd about Pete singing songs in his 30s about teen angst.

RIP Pete. Damn shocking when folk from that era go. ie - my bleedin' youth.

edit - several pieces on him in the Guardian - will read later.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2018
    Accy cyclist likes this.

15. I'm not too sure but i think maybe The Ramones were a support to The Buzzcocks at one of their Blackburn gigs. I know The Ramones were support band somewhere long the line at that venue. When you tell youngsters that you saw the Buzzcocks 3 times,The Ramones,The Clash 3 times, AC/DC and The Jam twice in Blackburn, they seem to think you're making it up. Mind you i felt the same when those older than me said they saw The Beatles and The Stones in places Like The Nelson Imperial near Burnley! https://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/11/live-imperial-ballroom-nelson/

Last edited: 8 Dec 2018
    172traindriver, robjh and Blue Hills like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice