petrol chainsaw suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
ppe you are kidding? i hope
it the trousers, boots, helmet, visor, gloves & ear defenders

thanks will look into these

my order of preference is:

Stihl

Jonsered

Husquavana

and Ryobi

I have been service trained by most of the marketleading manufacturers, and repairing chainsaw for most of my adult life, and these four makes have always come out on top for rugged build durability and availblity of parts.

My personal chainsaw is a 16 inch, 40 cc Ryobi which I have owned for 2 years now. I bought it on price alone, from an ebay buy it now offering; £99.99 and free P&P, and have never experienced a problem with it. Starts every time, is easy to adjust, is easy to clean, is economical on both petrol and chain oil with out detriment to lubricating the chain, and is reasonable quiet to use from a chainsaw point of view.

Ballastic leggings/trousers, ballastic boots, anti-vibration mitts and full mesh screen helmet with ear defenders are the absolute minimum of PPE you should wear when using a chainsaw ...... there is no such thing as a minor accident with a chainsaw!

asterix

Comrade Member
As an infrequent chain sawyer, I use a Bosch electric job. Once I had a Ryobi 2-stroke but due to unforeseen circs it was out of use for a period without being laid up and was never much after. (I guess the local saw servicer was pretty incompetent as well).

The electric one is ok for cutting large oak beams for lintels and stuff so shd be ok for moderate fuel cutting.

My least favourite implement - I got a tree surgeon in for my trees, very impressive the way he could swing trough the branches on his ropes with a few chainsaws hanging from his belt. A very dangerous profession though - you never an old tree surgeon.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My dad uses Stihl stuff for his gardening.

He goes for the engine units and 'attachments', so his chain saw unit is only a foot or so long, but on an extension, so it's well away from you. It will still cut through foot thick trunks though.It's not a full on machine though.

One of my best mates works for the Forestry Commission, and he uses the big stuff, but with kevlar pants ! :wacko:

It's not something I use, as I'm not used it, so my dad comes round and cuts the trees right back.

HovR

Über Member
I have a family member in the US who has worked for a commercial logging/tree farming company most of his working life. His saw of preference is a Husquavana, followed by Stihl.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
Gareth do you know who you bought your ryobi from? i ahve found one similar and am quite interested.

My brother-in-law is a tree surgeon in Cornwall and he swears by Stihl. Last time he was over here in Texas he picked up a new MS171 for about 150GBP. Took it home in his packed luggage ^_^

Paul J

I have a Jonsered about 10 years old now and it never misses a beat.

As others have said keep the chain sharp (easy enough to do). I always turn the bar over every other day (evens wear), make sure it never runs out of chain oil, and never be tempted to let the chain cut into the ground, quickest way to blunt it.

Top Bottom