Pets and fireworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Do yours suffer ?
Mine never have, we just took Digby (7 months) out into the garden while some are going off, not too near, not too loud, but sudden evertheless...he seemed fine, quite uninterested. None if my dogs ever did suffer. Talking to a colleage today, his never did either.
Yourexperiences, views ?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Molly is not bothered at all by fireworks but her brother Harley , who lives with our son, goes berserk when he hears them. He is terrified of them.

Reactions: gbb

Mrs M

Guru
Our 2 cats don’t seem bothered but the older one sits at the window watching them.
The dog was only 9 weeks old last New Year and didn’t react at all, see how he is now he’s older.

Reactions: gbb
Good morning,

In people there is something called misophonia, this is where a person feels intense anger at certain sounds such as someone else eating an apple. Generally the medical profession hasn't taken it seriously, but there has been some research and one paper was quite interesting.

This paper proposed that sound is processed through two "paths" in the brain. One path handles unexpected sounds and the other path provides a filter to the response generated by the first path.

So a car back-firing or the first firework may cause a person to "jump", but the subsequent occurrences of the sounds are expected so the "jump" response is supressed.

For everybody the first occurrence kicks in an old "fight or flight" type response which quickly dissipates, for people with misophonia the second path never supresses the sound so each occurrence of the sound ups the "fight or flight" level.

Although this theory is not universally accepted it is also not dismissed, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to suppose that such dual pathways may exist in some animals as well. At some small brain size the Expected Sound pathway doesn't exist at all and in bigger brains it works or doesn't work in the same was as it does or does not work in humans.

This idea seems to have credibility when applied to dogs as dogs are usually calmed or agitated by the reactions of the humans around them, but completely relaxed humans do not calm many dogs when fireworks, loud unexpected sounds, are going off. If your dog doesn't like fireworks then there is nothing that you can do because it is a "hardware fault".:smile:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My current cat does not seem concerned unless loud and close. I watched my previous cat strolling through 'his' car park around Nov 5th once with fireworks going off all over the place and he didn't care at all (but he hated the hoover, the sound of plastic bags being scrunched and- even more- the Veolia truck on bin day)

I'm more bothered by fireworks than the cat.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Our two cats were terrified of them, we (and they) dreaded this time of year. Nowadays they are still disturbed by the noise but no longer to the degree of launching themselves two laps around the room and then hurtling upstairs to hide.

Fireworks should not be for sale to the general public, only organised, licensed displays should be allowed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This idea seems to have credibility when applied to dogs as dogs are usually calmed or agitated by the reactions of the humans around them, but completely relaxed humans do not calm many dogs when fireworks, loud unexpected sounds, are going off. If your dog doesn't like fireworks then there is nothing that you can do because it is a "hardware fault".:smile:
I dispute this bit, I think the animals would be fine after the first one or two bangs, but get agitated by their owners yelling FFS and posting on their local facebook groups etc "WTF are people letting off fireworks??- My pet hates it" the answer of course being that that Diwali & Bonfire night were in existence long before your oversensitive pet was born.
:okay:
My two cats aren't bothered btw

*the above is somewhat tongue in cheek, but the "outrage" on social media re fireworks never ceases to amaze me. I don't believe people let them off just to upset Madge's cat.

keithmac

Guru
We took our eldest out for a wee between "stints" a couple of years back, unfortunately some A-hole let if what must have been a display only firework (it shook the house!).

She's getting better but not looking forward to tonight.

Even the smell of smoke started her off shaking for a good 6 months after.

Apparently Classic FM are playing soothing pet music tonight so I've set that up.

Sad to see that one incident stays with them for life.

This is actually an improvement..

that Diwali & Bonfire night were in existence long before your oversensitive pet was born
I'd be happy with a restriction to the actual day/evening of the traditional festival being celebrated. We now have the problem that November to early Jan is commonly disrupted. There is also no need to let them off after 10pm (public bonfires are generally 5-6pm !!)

(I'd also be happy with a ban on purchases except for organised displays, or some sort of certification for professionals who could be hired for your parent's Golden Anniversary (or Jubilee) etc)

Please remember the human race has had pets for many centuries - well before Guy Fawkes came along.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We took our eldest out for a wee between "stints" a couple of years back, unfortunately some A-hole let if what must have been a display only firework (it shook the house!).

She's getting better but not looking forward to tonight.

Even the smell of smoke started her off shaking for a good 6 months after.

Apparently Classic FM are playing soothing pet music tonight so I've set that up.

Sad to see that one incident stays with them for life.

This is actually an improvement..

View attachment 616517
I will have my HiFi on pretty (very) LOUD tonight, the moggies are used to that. :becool:

Top Bottom