Pets and fireworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WHen I used to have a dog I never went out on 5th November

She was OK with the noise - first one or two and she would come out from wherever she was an look at me - a gentle unflustered word from me and she decided it must be OK
The flash was not so popular - and possibly the smells
I generally kept the door to the kitchen shut (patio door) and moved one of the arm chairs to block the curtain leading into the porch so she couldn;t get to her favourite place behind the front door
and kept the curtains tight shut

then she was fine

Mostly she took her cues from me - if I was OK with it then she was

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately ive only ever had gun dogs, and they take no notice of fireworks. It's just bred into them.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Our two cats were terrified of them, we (and they) dreaded this time of year. Nowadays they are still disturbed by the noise but no longer to the degree of launching themselves two laps around the room and then hurtling upstairs to hide.

Fireworks should not be for sale to the general public, only organised, licensed displays should be allowed.

The fun is setting them off yourself. I'm not keen on banning stuff just because you personally dislike it. Lots of people dislike cycles after all

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The fun is setting them off yourself. I'm not keen on banning stuff just because you personally dislike it. Lots of people dislike cycles after all

It’s far more than a personal dislike; it’s the thousands of terrified animals, the disturbance when idiots set them off other than 5 November, the thousands of (often serious) injuries caused by their misuse, and the burden they place on our fire service as well as the burns units of the NHS.

I haven’t suggested banning fireworks, only licensing their use. I’m not keen on allowing a free for all with explosives just because some people like them.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
It’s far more than a personal dislike; it’s the thousands of terrified animals, the disturbance when idiots set them off other than 5 November, the thousands of (often serious) injuries caused by their misuse, and the burden they place on our fire service as well as the burns units of the NHS.

I haven’t suggested banning fireworks, only licensing their use. I’m not keen on allowing a free for all with explosives just because some people like them.
Seconded. Any adult that thinks it's cool to set off fireworks in residential areas needs to have a good look at themselves.

Mrs M

Guru
As expected cats not bothered, on the patio eating dreamies with explosions going off all around them!
Dog was intrigued with the little ones across the road with their sparklers.
A couple of pathetic barks when he did hear fireworks but Mr M has the TV up so loud surprised he heard them :ohmy:

stephec

Legendary Member
Our nine month old poodle hasn't been bothered with a few bangs whilst out on her evening walk all week, but tonight sounds like the start of Saving Private Ryan near us so she's staying in.

She's quite happy watching the fish and listening to Classic FM without any fuss.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Our nine month old poodle hasn't been bothered with a few bangs whilst out on her evening walk all week, but tonight sounds like the start of Saving Private Ryan near us so she's staying in.

She's quite happy watching the fish and listening to Classic FM without any fuss.

View attachment 616568
What’s she like…..bloody Diva. Surprised she’s not got a glass of wine too! :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My cat used to be bothered when we first adopted her, she'd have been about 4 years old then. She'd go and hide somewhere for the night, under a bed or similar.
Now she's nearly 20 and she doesn't bat an eyelid, she's more focused at this time of night on when her next meal is served. She's actually only awake for about 3 hours a night when she eats about 4 small meals, 7 til 10pm. The other 21 hours of the day she's asleep.
20211105_204504.jpg

20210321_155852.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom