Peugeot ANC-Halfords!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello,
I just picked up a Peugeot ANC-Halfords for £20.
Everything looks good just needs a thorough cleaning.
Does anybody have information about the bike.
Thanks.
I'll post better pictures tomorrow.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.PNG
    IMG_2852.PNG
    162.8 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2854.PNG
    IMG_2854.PNG
    163.5 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It was a 'cooking' type that Halfords used to sell I think in the nineties. It was a very popular model and they must have sold thousands. What size wheels does it have? The frame size is small so may be for teens. Nice buy.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It was a 'cooking' type that Halfords used to sell I think in the nineties. It was a very popular model and they must have sold thousands. What size wheels does it have? The frame size is small so may be for teens. Nice buy.

seen a couple of these normal wheel size was 700 for adult bikes , a few different specs about as some have chrome fr forks and from memory were 501 tubing

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

The bike also has simplex downtube shifters and possibly simplex gearing.
The brakes are CLB ????

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For the price you can't really go wrong. I seem to remember them having that coloured seat but can't be sure. Peugeot tried to keep all their components French made so it's possibly a replacement, maybe someone else can comment.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The original saddle was an orange Selle Royal, it looks right. The original bar tape was thin orange nylon, so what's left of yours is also what was fitted at the factory.

si_c

Guru
I have the same bike and ride it every day, for £20 it's phenomenal value. These are the mass production team replica bikes from the mid eighties, produced 1985 through 87 I think, with the carbolite ones coming at the end of that period. I'm really really happy with mine, it's a great ride and very comfortable.

Bar tape was something similar to Benotto tape, orange nylon/vinyl I'm not a fan. The saddle is original, but terrible. It was a cheaper plastic version of the original leather Turbo, you can get a much much nicer version in the current production model. Drive train is probably sachs-huret with simplex shifters and works well enough, I found that I needed to strip it down and give it a really good clean as it hadn't been maintained for some time, but once I had done that it was fine as friction shifting is incredibly forgiving anyway, although it may be geared a little high.

The CLB brakes are single pivot, not terrible in the dry, but they are pretty scary when it gets wet, by the 80s when this bike was produced they were losing ground rapidly in terms of performance with campagnolo and shimano, being bought by Sachs in the mid eighties, who in turn were bought by SRAM.

I'd replace the brake levers and brake pads if nothing else, this will make them perform acceptably in all conditions. I also had the rear frame respaced so that I can fit modern wheels in, and currently running 10 speed rear block with simplex shifters no problem, although it's at the edge of what works.

Attachments

• IMAG0747.jpg
    IMAG0747.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 293
OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I have the same bike and ride it every day, for £20 it's phenomenal value. These are the mass production team replica bikes from the mid eighties, produced 1985 through 87 I think, with the carbolite ones coming at the end of that period. I'm really really happy with mine, it's a great ride and very comfortable.

Bar tape was something similar to Benotto tape, orange nylon/vinyl I'm not a fan. The saddle is original, but terrible. It was a cheaper plastic version of the original leather Turbo, you can get a much much nicer version in the current production model. Drive train is probably sachs-huret with simplex shifters and works well enough, I found that I needed to strip it down and give it a really good clean as it hadn't been maintained for some time, but once I had done that it was fine as friction shifting is incredibly forgiving anyway, although it may be geared a little high.

The CLB brakes are single pivot, not terrible in the dry, but they are pretty scary when it gets wet, by the 80s when this bike was produced they were losing ground rapidly in terms of performance with campagnolo and shimano, being bought by Sachs in the mid eighties, who in turn were bought by SRAM.

I'd replace the brake levers and brake pads if nothing else, this will make them perform acceptably in all conditions. I also had the rear frame respaced so that I can fit modern wheels in, and currently running 10 speed rear block with simplex shifters no problem, although it's at the edge of what works.
Thankyou for your reply. I think with a bit of work it'll be a lovely bike.
Thanks

si_c

Guru
Thankyou for your reply. I think with a bit of work it'll be a lovely bike.
Thanks
It probably won't even need that much work, just a clean and regrease and you'll have something good, upgrade the brakes and you've got a competent all weather bike.

Top Bottom