Peugeot Carbolite 103 mixte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Better than I imagined. Swap those wheels out from some alloy ones, give it a strip down, regrease and put new cables on and you've got yourself a great little run around.

Better than I imagined. Swap those wheels out from some alloy ones, give it a strip down, regrease and put new cables on and you've got yourself a great little run around.
Yup, just got to find them! The Shimanos from the Scott would be far too wide, on the rear anyway, but I'm sure I'll sort something out. Appears to hav e Maillard hubs, maybe worth getting them relaced to something better.

Info so far: it's a model P18T, I think. The T indicates flat bars, apparently, C being drops. Lowest gear is a 34, it just looks so big because it's a 13 or so to 34 FIVE speed, them's big gaps between gears, them is...
Done some basic work with a rag, just to see what it looks like. Will need advice about rust, but none seems to be more than surface, biggest patch of which is around the RD where the cable has rubbed.
Mudguards come up like mirrors! Removed the UV-rotted ally-framed skirt guard. Bars by Philipe, hubs by Maillard. Serial is Y411 29065. Best guess early to mid-80s. Also, with 5-speed and cottered cranks, this may be a little older and/or at the cheaper end of the range, which certainly had 10-speeds with alloy cranksets, for example.

Another point - it's big, or at least it's as big as I would want it at five-eight and 29" inseam. Set up as it is, sitting on that huge squashy saddle puts my heel right in the traditional spot on the pedal. Just annoyed that I can't give it a try for some weeks...

The plan:
It's 120mm OLN, so need to find a set of alloy wheels for that size. Would ideally like to keep that crazy 5-speed block, so need the appropriate freewheel remover. Are freewheel threads all the same? Anyhow, moving on...
I'd ideally like to replace the cottered single chainset with a cotterless alloy double.. Most of these had alloy doubles, so something must fit. The BB seems OK, but is doubtless something exotic thread-wise, and will need replacement anyhow. Is there likely to be any possibility of a cartridge BB replacement?
So, wide range 10-speed, 42-32 up front, ideally, or something close. Not more than 46-36. 46 at the moment.
Next, how does one improve paintwork?
Barring one or two spots which need some derusting and a spot of laquer, it's 'reliced', as we'd say in the guitar world. Nicely aged.
Another alternative is cold reset, if that's possible on this frame style. Then I'd put a 2x8 drivetrain on.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Keep it more or less original is currently winning!
Edit: I won't be doing this in any kind of a hurry!

Away at the moment, but one thing I noticed when wheeling the bike in is the delightful Sturmey Archer like freewheel tick.
:smile:

And found this LBS in Newquay:
20190807_084814.jpg

Does lots of old stuff, and collects parts too, mainly 70s and 80s.

D

Deleted member 1258

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom