Peugeot Competition CP10 - work so far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
firstly many thanks to @DCLane for allowing me the chance to get this bike and to try and work some magic.

Second,NaOH does work to help remove stuck alloy seat posts from a steel frame. It's still hard work but took less than 90 minutes to do. I'd previously spent hours trying to get it to move with no avail.

Good news is that the rust isn't bad. I've attached pictures as it stands and will probably just do a light resto and get some paint to cover bare patches. I can then decide in the future to get it stripped completely.

I'm looking forward to getting this back up and running, but it may take a couple of months with work/life commitments.

Attachments

• IMG_2949.JPG
    IMG_2949.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2950.JPG
    IMG_2950.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2951.JPG
    IMG_2951.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2952.JPG
    IMG_2952.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2953.JPG
    IMG_2953.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 142

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looking good

GuyBoden

Guru
firstly many thanks to @DCLane for allowing me the chance to get this bike and to try and work some magic.

Second,NaOH does work to help remove stuck alloy seat posts from a steel frame. It's still hard work but took less than 90 minutes to do. I'd previously spent hours trying to get it to move with no avail.

Good news is that the rust isn't bad. I've attached pictures as it stands and will probably just do a light resto and get some paint to cover bare patches. I can then decide in the future to get it stripped completely.

I'm looking forward to getting this back up and running, but it may take a couple of months with work/life commitments.

Very nice, caustic soda does remove aluminium, but also colours the paintwork, so needs good masking. I've used a plastic funnel, jubilee clipped to the seat tube, pour caustic soda into the funnel and stand well back. Watch the Aluminium bubble away.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Well first sunny day to do some work. It's now functional. First ride was very clunky so checked bottom bracket but all was fine. New chain and voila, quiet as a quiet thing.

Attachments

• IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom