Peugeot P65 Lady mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pumpman

A couple of years ago, I bought an old Peugeot mixte bike, with a view to restoring it for my good lady to ride. She seems to think I’m doing it for my own fun though. After some initial enthusiasm, it got pushed to the back of the garage. As I now have some time on my hands, I think I should get started again.
The bike is a Peugeot P65 Lady, from the late 70s (1977 frame number). It was in reasonable condition when I bought it, so it just needed a minor clean up and service to get it usable. I also changed the brake levers over from the continental side to the usual UK side. Some components had been changed/removed and I hope to reverse those changes.
The wheels and tyres had been changed from the original clinchers to sprints with tubular tyres. I have changed these back to “originals”.
The original black Bluemels mudguards are missing, but I think these will be easy to replace.
There is a bracket for a rear wheel dynamo and some wiring for a front light. I don’t think I will fit a dynamo, but I may try to find a couple of old-style lights and try fitting LED lights inside – but that is well down my to-do list.

The most difficult part to source will be the front bag support. This is an unusual design, which seems to have been attached by the mudguard bolt at the back of the forks and also supported against the pivot bolts of the centre-pull brakes. I have seen pictures of similar racks on other Peugeot bikes on some French websites, but I don’t know if these bikes were ever sold in the UK, so I am not too confident of finding one. Does anyone have one of these to sell? Or could anyone point me to where I might find one? I will also put a post in the classifieds on this site.
I have attached a few photos. The first shows the bike shortly after I got it . The others show the type of bag support I’m looking for.

Attachments

• 20170619_184213.jpg
    20170619_184213.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170619_184213.jpg
    20170619_184213.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 10

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very similar to the Velo Orange 'Randonneur' front rack

rando_final-1__15767.1563359395.jpg

OP
OP
Pumpman

Pumpman

Very similar to the Velo Orange 'Randonneur' front rack
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the problem with both would be that they would foul the centre-pull brakes. It might be possible to modify the "Velo orange" one, by bending the centre support to pass under the brake, but then the side supports would probably need to be adapted to fit onto the forks somewhere below the brake.
I must admit that I don't have a real need for the front support and a rear rack would probably be easier to fit and would be more
practical. However, I am really hoping to restore the bike to its original as-new condition - and the quirky little front support would be a nice finishing touch. If I can't find one, I may try to make one by modifying a standard one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This looks closer in style:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/porte-bagag...112285?hash=item4b789d271d:g:sD8AAOSwFqZeo-I4

quite expensive though - I guess it is rare.
That has V-brake fittings though.

The one I posted the linky to can have the centre support bar turned upside down from how it is in the picture and has the drilled and tapped holes for a support rod to fit the mudguard holes at the bottom of the fork.

I thought you had a front rack though, how was that fitted ?

OP
OP
Pumpman

Pumpman

I thought you had a front rack though, how was that fitted ?
No. The photos are from various French websites, showing similar bikes.

OP
OP
Pumpman

Pumpman

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/porte-bagag...112285?hash=item4b789d271d:g:sD8AAOSwFqZeo-I4

Yes, it looks very close. It has the supports to sit against the Mafac centre-pull's brakes. The only difference seems to be the light support at the side. It is expensive though - with the shipping added, it would be about half the original cost of the bike. The French ebay link has led me to other similar ones though - cheaper, but needing some more work. I think I should have a good chance of finding one there. thanks for getting pointed in the right direction.

OP
OP
Pumpman

Pumpman

i have now got one from another French eBay ad. It did not look to be in as good a condition as the one above, but it was a quarter of the price, so I decided to give it a go. it was actually a little better than it had looked in the seller's photos and it has cleaned up very well, as attached photo. it also came complete with the little front light to fit onto the bracket. This has probably convinced me to get a rear light and make use of the frame's dynamo bracket and internal wiring. I'm not too sure i like the idea of using a dynamo and having it rubbing on the tyre wall, but it will be nice to have it looking a little closer to the original setup.
I will now keep my eyes open for some suitable mudguards. I have seen some for sale at a reasonable price, but the postage cost is usually high - so I will wait for something near enough to pick up, as I am in no great rush.
Thanks again for the various suggestions that got me pointed in the right direction. Not too far to go to the finished article now.

Top Bottom