Peugeot PZ10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw this bike on Gumtree on Tuesday and bought it without giving it too much attention. I knew that if it wasn't for me I would get my money back on it by selling it for spares. Today was the first chance I have had time to look at it in daylight (I live in a tiny flat which already has three bikes and various spare wheels etc so it stayed in the back of the car till today)

DSCF0019.JPG DSCF0033.JPG DSCF0021.JPG
The Reynolds sticker on the front forks got me thinking it may be better than I thought so I set to the rough paintwork with some fine wet and dry to reveal another Reynolds sticker on the down tube ^_^ I was going to use the bike as commuter but I am now wondering if it may be worth making it a restoration project. I know lots of the components are not period to the frame (1983?) but they could go on Ebay and more period components could be sourced.
Any thoughts or opinions on what it actually is and which route I should take with it would be most appreciated

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Probably it's 531 frame and forks. Restored you're looking at £150-ish but it's not eligible for L'Eroica as the shifters aren't downtube ones.

It's the paintwork which would concern me; why's it been put on? does it cover up any nasties? The level of work involved would probably negate any increase in value unfortunately although the parts could be swapped over to cover some of the cost.

Have a look here: http://www.peugeotshow.com/ it resembles a PVN10 from 1983. The PZ10 appears to have purple decals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lancsman

Lancsman

Veteran
Thanks for that link. I have had a good look at the bike you suggested it may be. I am not convinced it is a PVN10 . I know lots of the components are not period to the bike, but I believe the Campagnolo brakes and headset could be original. DSCF0026.JPG DSCF0024.JPG

Looking at this page http://www.peugeotshow.com/1983fr/1983fr_05.jpg shows the PZ10 which like the frame I have has a red and blue stripe on the top tube it also says it is Campagnolo equiped. The bike owes me £45 so nothing lost whatever it turns out to be.

Probably it's 531 frame and forks. Restored you're looking at £150-ish but it's not eligible for L'Eroica as the shifters aren't downtube ones.

It's the paintwork which would concern me; why's it been put on? does it cover up any nasties? The level of work involved would probably negate any increase in value unfortunately although the parts could be swapped over to cover some of the cost.

Have a look here: http://www.peugeotshow.com/ it resembles a PVN10 from 1983. The PZ10 appears to have purple decals.

Peugeot’s are always tricky to identify, with different models acidosis different countries. The transfers are 1983 and PVN or PXN look the most likely models, the PZ10 was campagnolo equipped .

@Lancsman I would try and clean the paint off, see if the frame is sound and then look to put on it some French components, Simplex, Mafac, stronglight etc. Most can be found for reasonable prices.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Lancsman dont do anything other than make it rideable then use it for a few weeks to see what its like then decide

Like @DCLane and @BalkanExpress mention you have no idea whats lurking below the paint , once happy it feels ok then either sell as a winter project or do it yourself .

For id help try looking at the rear stays and bottom bracket area for a stuck on white/cream label with a model code

Thanks for that link. I have had a good look at the bike you suggested it may be. I am not convinced it is a PVN10 . I know lots of the components are not period to the bike, but I believe the Campagnolo brakes and headset could be original. View attachment 381998 View attachment 382000

Looking at this page http://www.peugeotshow.com/1983fr/1983fr_05.jpg shows the PZ10 which like the frame I have has a red and blue stripe on the top tube it also says it is Campagnolo equiped. The bike owes me £45 so nothing lost whatever it turns out to be.

Ooohh. I had not seen your post when I replied above. Yes, with those Campag bits it looks as if it's a PZ10.

Here is a thread with lots of pictures for comparison. It's in French but google translate is your friend

http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/thread/635/peugeot-pz10-1983

My main question would be if it's a 1983 or not. The transfers suggest yes but these may have been put on after (my PY10 turned out not to be a 1983 as the transfers suggested but a 1980). However, the rear brake looks to be an external nut and in the link the fitting is Allan key. Then again, it is a Peugeot and so it could be a 1982 frame used for the 1983 model (again the case with mine which is a 1979 frame but the 1980 specification)

In short as @biggs682 says if you are lucky enough to still have the paper sticker it should tell you the model, if not the frame number should be on the bottom bracket and may, or may, not help.

And, a final thought, if the bars and stem are the Cinelli originals you will have avoided my favourite Peugeotism the 7mm Stem bolt :-)

Ignore all that rear brake stuff. I just zoomed in on a photo in the link and realised the reason I had not seen it was because the nut had turned the same colour as the tyre:shy:

So, 1983 it is....probably

OP
OP
Lancsman

Lancsman

Veteran
Thanks to everyone for your advice and replies. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier i have been in work all day.
dont do anything other than make it rideable then use it for a few weeks to see what its like then decide

I rode it to work today and even in the condition it is in a rode very well indeed. I am going to dig out another saddle for it tonight and put some more suitable pedals on. The old look Delta pedals that are on reminded me why I use double sided SPD now and my old shoes aren't that comfy these days. I will run it for the rest of the week and strip a bit more paint at the weekend.

And, a final thought, if the bars and stem are the Cinelli originals you will have avoided my favourite Peugeotism the 7mm Stem bolt :-

Do you mean Cinelli Giro d Italia bars balkanExpress ? DSCF0022.JPG DSCF0023.JPG

And talking about Peugeots and allen keys. My last Pug (which was an Aneto circa 87 P?10) had a quil seatpillar and the allen bolt was a bugger to get to to adjust saddle height.

Once again thanks everyone for all you help and advice
Andrew

Thanks to everyone for your advice and replies. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier i have been in work all day.

I rode it to work today and even in the condition it is in a rode very well indeed. I am going to dig out another saddle for it tonight and put some more suitable pedals on. The old look Delta pedals that are on reminded me why I use double sided SPD now and my old shoes aren't that comfy these days. I will run it for the rest of the week and strip a bit more paint at the weekend.

Do you mean Cinelli Giro d Italia bars balkanExpress ? View attachment 382089 View attachment 382090

And talking about Peugeots and allen keys. My last Pug (which was an Aneto circa 87 P?10) had a quil seatpillar and the allen bolt was a bugger to get to to adjust saddle height.

Once again thanks everyone for all you help and advice
Andrew

Yes, the original spec.:okay:

French design, ocassionalt genius, often:wacko:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

i think that's all i would do as well , to uncover some more of it's credentials try using a good quality cutting paste

Top Bottom