Peugeot Tourmalet 1986 or 1987 model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keabo

keabo

brave choice with the white bar tape btw, looks lovely but a labour of love keeping it white!

I know, mad really. Trying to have it looking like the one in the brochure...

I'm only going to use it in the dry so hopefully mitts and the occasional go over it with WD40 should keep it nice, for a while.

Here are the brake blocks as ordered
1621173834765.png

Quite authentic to look at, their performance is not that bad, I'm overdoing the moaning about the brakes really. They stop the bike effectively enough, just not as effortlessly as disc brakes and modern levers - what did I expect? They've only had 35km of bedding in too, so I'm hopeful.

OP
OP
keabo

keabo

Just been out for a quick play up and down the road trying the brakes in anger. From the hoods I can lock the back wheel and bring the bike to an effective quick stop. From the drops I can get enough front braking to lift the rear wheel, and with the right weight transfer do a good emergency stop. I think the blocks are fine! The ergonomics and lever effort are the big difference, just something to get used to. I had CLB calipers on my old Peugeot (the Aubisque shown in the catalogue pic) and my recollection was that they were decent brakes, easy to adjust and not flexy. Those fitted to this Tourmalet seem consistent with that experience. I'm enjoying this Peugeot so far :smile:

T4tomo

Guru
I know, mad really. Trying to have it looking like the one in the brochure...
View attachment 588996

I'm only going to use it in the dry so hopefully mitts and the occasional go over it with WD40 should keep it nice, for a while.

Here are the brake blocks as ordered
View attachment 588998

Quite authentic to look at, their performance is not that bad, I'm overdoing the moaning about the brakes really. They stop the bike effectively enough, just not as effortlessly as disc brakes and modern levers - what did I expect? They've only had 35km of bedding in too, so I'm hopeful.
snap!
1621234097274.png

OP
OP
keabo

keabo

:eek: Wow, 30 quid for a set of brake blocks!! Mine were a fiver, delivered. I'll assume they are not Koolstop :laugh:

Actually I had to get some that included the metal shoes as my bike's previous owner had butchered some cantilever pads to fit which didn't quite look the part. I will know what to look for when it's time to put new rubber in the shoes.

T4tomo

Guru
:eek: Wow, 30 quid for a set of brake blocks!! Mine were a fiver, delivered. I'll assume they are not Koolstop :laugh:

Actually I had to get some that included the metal shoes as my bike's previous owner had butchered some cantilever pads to fit which didn't quite look the part. I will know what to look for when it's time to put new rubber in the shoes.
yes, not cheap, but you get 4 blocks for that, so only £7.50 a corner for better braking. the salmon ones are especially good on wet rims.

OP
OP
keabo

keabo

For all those on the edge of their seats waiting to see the 'after' photos of the cleaned up bike, here we go...

My age-appropriate front wheel arrived today. It has had a hub cleanup and regrease, a tweak with the spoke key, and a polish and has come up well.

I'm pretty happy with how this old bike has turned out. From a distance it looks great. I will work on the paintwork at my leisure, starting with somewhere that my repairs are not likely to stand out too much.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
For all those on the edge of their seats waiting to see the 'after' photos of the cleaned up bike, here we go...

My age-appropriate front wheel arrived today. It has had a hub cleanup and regrease, a tweak with the spoke key, and a polish and has come up well.

I'm pretty happy with how this old bike has turned out. From a distance it looks great. I will work on the paintwork at my leisure, starting with somewhere that my repairs are not likely to stand out too much.

View attachment 589318

View attachment 589319

View attachment 589320

View attachment 589321

View attachment 589322

View attachment 589323

View attachment 589324

View attachment 589325

View attachment 589326

View attachment 589327
That has cleaned up really well. Well down.

Peugeotrider

Here's my 86 tourmalet.
I bought it used in 89 as a cardinal red bike,clb brakes,rigida qr rims,stronglight chain set,simplex levers and front derailleur but the rear derailleur hanger had been snapped off and a generic derailleur fitted.
Bike lay outside my house for many years until I eventually stored it in a shed.
Basically lay unused since 92 and last year I stripped it back to bare steel and gave it a full repaint although in this new yellow pattern.
Kept many of the original parts,brake calipers,seat post,bars and stem,bottom bracket and crankset.
Did refit with new wheels and brake levers,all new cables and brake blocks and it's a total pleasure on the road.
I've just returned to cycling after almost 30 years since I stopped.
Maybe a midlife crisis...lol.
That and personal issues in my life prompted me back in the saddle and my old pal that I covered used to cycle with all those years ago has also rekindled his bike interest.
Definitely enjoying it and hoping to have a few miles covered this summer

OP
OP
keabo

keabo

@Peugeotrider that looks lovely, the colour is very like the Yellow Gold that my 86 Aubisque was painted. A really distinctive metallic yellow. The fresh paint makes quite a difference on yours, though I must agree with T4tomo about the bar tape ^_^

A few posts ago I was having a good moan about the poor braking on my cleaned-up Tourmalet. After a hair-raising descent of the aptly-named Cliff Avenue in Summerseat, Bury the other night when I was pulling on the levers hard and the bike was barely slowing I decided to sort it out whatever it took.

Being very happy with the Shimano 105 calipers and original pads on my Dolan L'Etape I swapped the pads to the Peugeot just to try the Peugeot with known good pads. This made just about no noticeable difference. So, no point changing the pads then.

As part of my cleanup job I used T-Cut to get the ancient grime off the rims, which worked really well giving the wheels a decent shine. Wondering whether this may have resulted in an exciting low-friction effect on braking I degreased the rims and tried the bike again with the cheap-and-cheerful pads. What a difference! The bike will now stop properly on demand and I feel fully confident to use it in all conditions now. I too find the Peugeot to be an absolute joy to ride.

Peugeotrider

@Peugeotrider that looks lovely, the colour is very like the Yellow Gold that my 86 Aubisque was painted. A really distinctive metallic yellow. The fresh paint makes quite a difference on yours, though I must agree with T4tomo about the bar tape ^_^

A few posts ago I was having a good moan about the poor braking on my cleaned-up Tourmalet. After a hair-raising descent of the aptly-named Cliff Avenue in Summerseat, Bury the other night when I was pulling on the levers hard and the bike was barely slowing I decided to sort it out whatever it took.

Being very happy with the Shimano 105 calipers and original pads on my Dolan L'Etape I swapped the pads to the Peugeot just to try the Peugeot with known good pads. This made just about no noticeable difference. So, no point changing the pads then.

As part of my cleanup job I used T-Cut to get the ancient grime off the rims, which worked really well giving the wheels a decent shine. Wondering whether this may have resulted in an exciting low-friction effect on braking I degreased the rims and tried the bike again with the cheap-and-cheerful pads. What a difference! The bike will now stop properly on demand and I feel fully confident to use it in all conditions now. I too find the Peugeot to be an absolute joy to ride.
Mine is a straight yellow,the same as found on a Renault Mégane coupe Purley for the reason being that I'm a car painter by trade and had a spare tin of it laying around.
Rims are a budget eBay find,brand new with Raleigh tags, 55 the pair.
Fitted a new block 6 speed ,a pair of hardly used kenda kwest on an eBay auction win and brake levers are tektro (!) Aero levers, another eBay auction win and not forgetting the blue camo bar tape 🤣.
It was a budget resto but it came together great and it does get attention when the older guys see the bike so I must have got it up to standard. Bike does perform perfect,I cannot fault it.

You could use your T-Cut to give the crossbar a polish to remove some of the scratches, lemon juice on the rust spots to remove the rust and touch up with a similar colour. You may find it difficult trying to find an aerosol the same colour and a whole block of colour with stand out more than carefully touched in scratches.
It is looking good what you have done so far .

OP
OP
keabo

keabo

You could use your T-Cut to give the crossbar a polish to remove some of the scratches, lemon juice on the rust spots to remove the rust and touch up with a similar colour. You may find it difficult trying to find an aerosol the same colour and a whole block of colour with stand out more than carefully touched in scratches.
It is looking good what you have done so far .

Thanks, good tips. I have already T-Cut and wax polished the whole frame. From a distance it now looks pretty tidy with the exception of the crossbar. I'm going to deal with the paint issues over autumn/winter as this is strictly a summer bike and I want to enjoy it during the next few months without waiting for paint to dry/harden. I veer between prefering the idea of sanding the whole area and spray painting, and your (probably better) suggestion of careful touching in. I'll probably go with the latter as I have next to no experience with spray painting and I'm not kidding myself it will be easy to get a good result.

Peugeotrider

Thanks, good tips. I have already T-Cut and wax polished the whole frame. From a distance it now looks pretty tidy with the exception of the crossbar. I'm going to deal with the paint issues over autumn/winter as this is strictly a summer bike and I want to enjoy it during the next few months without waiting for paint to dry/harden. I veer between prefering the idea of sanding the whole area and spray painting, and your (probably better) suggestion of careful touching in. I'll probably go with the latter as I have next to no experience with spray painting and I'm not kidding myself it will be easy to get a good result.
Spraying is easy...it's getting the match is difficult.
If you had a good match...you could do the damaged top bar

Top Bottom