PF30 Frame - Which BB and/or Crank Swap - Can't Decide

Which option?

• Standard PF30 and stick with current kit.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Outboard adapter, Dura Ace BB and Ultegra Chainset

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Standard PF30 and Rotor 3D+ Inpower

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
It's time to replace the BB on my Bianchi. Have got 4,000 miles out of the standard FSA PF30, which I believe is decent considering some posts you find online. I just can't decide what to do.

My options are:

1. Replace with another standard PF30 and use the FSA Gossamer chainset that is currently in place.

2. Replace with a SRAM PF30 to BSA cup adapter, along with Dura Ace BB and fit Ultegra 6800 chainset.

3. Replace with PF30 BB and fit a Rotor 3D+ MAS Inpower chainset, that I have been offered for a very good price.

Option 1 sounds good from a cost point of view. Option 2 was always the plan when the BB was ready to be replaced. Not too pricey, but not totally sure whether the Ultegra chainset will give anything more than the Gossamer? Option 3 is the wildcard, as have been offered it at a very good price and am interested in getting a power meter at some point anyway.

Too much procrastination is happening, and want to order the parts, so open to advice from people who may or may not have experience of the above swaps. Your thoughts?

S-Express

One chainset is much like another. Unless you want to ride with a PM, in which case it has to be option 3.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I have some creaking at present, which forum posts suggest is the cheaper FSA rings, but I think is actually the BB tbh. If I was to stick with standard PF30 BB, is it worth me spending on better quality bearings?

Have you any experience of using a PM? I love checking out the stats, and comparing myself to previous rides, but not delusional to think that it will make huge differences to my riding.

S-Express

Have you any experience of using a PM? I love checking out the stats, and comparing myself to previous rides, but not delusional to think that it will make huge differences to my riding.

I don't use one myself. PM will only make a difference if you use it as part of a structured regime. Otherwise, it's just telling you another number, much like speed, distance or elevation.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
That was my plan, although time is an issue at present. Certainly sounds as though a simple PF30 replacement is probably my best bet right now. I don't need new chainrings, so no hurry to replace crank if it's not going to make any noticeable difference. Cheers.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Just rebuilt the bearings on my PF30 after 5500 miles on my commuter, so it's been through all weathers. Unless you chainset needs replacing I'd just stick another PF30 in. Put in with the right tools, with grease in the right places, it should do you fine for at least another 4000 miles.

The Specialized OSBB on my Roubaix, however, is getting replaced with a PRAXXIS converter as soon as I change it from the current SORA to Ultegra 11 speed.

IMG_4001.JPG

This is a 'wheels manufacturing' adaptor, in my opinion it's better made than the Praxis number. If it was me, I'd use it on both bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 53

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Do all of the Wheels Manuf PF30's press in, or do any of them thread together?

From a Google search, it appears that they pressing one side and then the other screws into the first side. Is this correct?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Clearly! Hence asking the question whether this one is pressed in one side or whether both sides are fitted simply by screwing them together. :smile:
I didn't get what you'd meant there because I'd just assumed that one side would be a tight (press) fit and the other would tighten by screwing to that, but I suppose both could be a looser fit until screwed together.

My CX bike has a press fit BB. I think it had just started to creak the last time I rode it (about 6 months ago). If so, I intend to use one of these replacements. I think that press fit BBs are creaks waiting to happen!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I went for the c-bear option on my synapse, as its a bb30a..........very well engineered with ceramic bearings and creak free too

Top Bottom