Phantom punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I keep getting punctures in both wheels of my MTB even though I know that I have not been anywhere likely to get them. I also cannot find anything in the tyres that was responsible (no glass or thorns). The rim "tape" is also fine. Closer inspection of the inner tubes show a line of marks on the tube that are in a line along the circumference of the tube. One of these marks is where the puncture is. This is where a also repaired a previoius puncture. I can provide pictures for those with a interest in rubber. The tyre shows signs on wear on the inside on the walls (canvas showing through a bit), but I can't see that that is the cause. Maybe the inner tubes have met their service life and need to be binned?

I had the same mystery on a Boardman mtb and put it down to cheapo wheels pinching the inner tubes with 2.3 tyres on...got rid of the crate anyway. My old Cannondale with Sun Ringle rims has never had a problem with slicks, intermediates and Conti Race Kings at mo thats in 20+ years of riding it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can provide pictures for those with a interest in rubber.
Only ultra thin latex rubber :smile:.
MTB tyres are notoriously non puncture resistant, i know mine are which are a budget make bought here, so you might be well advised to get some quality ones. Replace the tubes if you feel they're a bit flakey.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
It could be faulty tube or has it happened with other tubes. Is it on the inside or outside of the tube. By that I mean could it be rubbing against the rim tape or the tyre. I had a friend who had several punctures in quick succesion on a ride to the coast on his brand new bike, many years ago. It turned out to be the plastic rim tape had been put on upside down and the edges of the recess for the spokes was cutting into the tube. New tube and turning tape over and we were on our way and no more problems.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
It is on the outside of the tube (away from the rim). The bike has been fine for many years despite extensive use and only the odd puncture that you get as per normal. But lately loads of punctures.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Pictures of tubes and tyre. Both tubes have a puncture where the long line of marks / impressions are. Inside of tyre shows some wear (excuse the bare feet, I had just got out the bath).

Attachments

• Tube1.jpg
    Tube1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 60
  • Tube2.jpg
    Tube2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Tyre.jpg
    Tyre.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 50

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm guessing the tire sidewalls have lost their rigidity and it's caused the pinch flats. There are similar marks on the patched area so I wouldn't blame the tubes themselves. I'd try a new set of tires and tubes.

Tom B

Guru
The original "thing" that caused the puncture caused these as the deflated tube moved in the tyre.

I see it in bikes at work that have been ridden around with flat tyres.

I also find that old tyres and tubes are more prone to puncturing, the schwalbes I use seem to reach a cliff face. Riding them flat also seems to soften them up.

Top Bottom