Phil Ligget, Chris Froome & a middle aged slightly over-weight bloke (me)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonus

Veteran
Every year in November Phil comes out to commentate on Jo'burgs Momentum 94.7km Cycle Challenge ride and most Christmas's Chris comes over to do some summer-time high altitude training here and visit his old school friends. Jo'burg is about 5000ft above sea level.

I have ridden with them both at the pre 94.7 warm-up ride (we call it the Twitter ride) and Chris was here when we did the Burry Stander (SA MTB Champ) tribute ride, after Burry was killed by a taxi while out road training. I also rode with Robbie Hunter when he was SA national rode champion on the Twitter ride and there's a rather bad quality phone-pic of him pushing my step-daughter up a hill. I guess if you are going to get help being pushed up a hill it may as well be by the countries current national rode champion hey?

Chris passed me out in the countryside while he was on a training ride once - I kept up with him for no more than 90 seconds. It was pathetic! lol

All great guys to ride with and chat to. :-)

20112010(006).jpg
302838_10200150052172138_2073948483_n.jpg
CF Bike 001.jpg
CF Bike 004.jpg
IMG-20121117-00374.jpg
Me & Phil.jpg
Me and Chris Froome.jpg
Me and Robbie Hunter.jpg
Sam and Robbie 001.jpg
Team Car 001.jpg

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Sam and Robbie 002.jpg
IMG-20130104-00690.jpg
IMG-20130104-00685.jpg
IMG_4768.jpg
IMG_4773-3.jpg
140.JPG
142.JPG

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
There are some "larger" riders (male and female) that take part on the 100km rides (the pick above was only a 45km warm up ride), but man some of them are strong!

We nicknamed the Europecar guy on my left "Man Mountain". We could all hide behind him!
Great atmosphere and great fun.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Brilliant!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cracking pics and they remind me of the three Arguses and a few Cycle Lab rides I've done in SA - oh that sunshine and the outdoor lifestyle!

I stopped taking the bike with me on business trips after witnessing a massive crash in my last Argus, which rather concentrated my mind on what my boss would say if I ended up in hospital with a broken hip or something when I was supposed to be there on a business trip!

We like Uncle Phil's commentary with Paul Sherwen on the TDF even though it seems to be fashionable amongst some miserable diehards to criticise him - I'd love to see them do as good a job under stress in such a pleasant and well-modulated way.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
There have been some very nasty crashes at the front end of the Argus. Not so much back in the slower groups. Funnily enough though it doesn't tend to be the Elites that stack, it tends to be the 1st and 2nd cat riders. Those looking for a sub 2.45 and struggling to get it.

Of course there are also a few amongst the "masses" who haven't ridden since the last Argus, or who try to take "selfies" etc that end up in a sorry state. Some people you just can't help.

Thankfully I've always been ok :-)

Re: Phil (& Paul) I've been listening to them since the 80's and I won't hear a bad thing said about them! lol

Other presenters are as good or better, but Phil is the Man.

Top Bottom