Phil Spector, RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Before he went mad, started wearing wigs from the GG range of rugs, and murdered people, he was a ground breaking record producer responsible for a serious amount of landmark recordings.

And now he's brown bread.

Drago

Legendary Member
And it seems I pretty much hit enter simultaneously with another such thread, so if some passing mod would like to do the honours I'd be most grateful.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I don't think we are close to understanding how and why so many artistic innovators are damaged and weird individuals. So often you have to not think about the "author" if you want to enjoy the work. To know him was not to love him.

I really love his work, even if he downplayed the contributions from others e.g. Jack Nitzche and wreaking crew.

Can't stand most Christmas music, but only last month I got the best Christmas album of all out again.

RIP

Chris S

Legendary Member
The Ramones said that he had threatened them with guns when they recorded an album with him. I thought it was just hype.

I don't think we are close to understanding how and why so many artistic innovators are damaged and weird individuals. So often you have to not think about the "author" if you want to enjoy the work. To know him was not to love him.

I really love his work, even if he downplayed the contributions from others e.g. Jack Nitzche and wreaking crew.

Can't stand most Christmas music, but only last month I got the best Christmas album of all out again.

RIP
I can't stand Jesus but some of his music is pretty good.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s no understatement to say he revolutionised popular music and influenced all that came after him. He seemed to go a bit crazy in the seventies and his wife (Ronnie Bennett of Ronettes fame) left him in fear of her life. He held a gun to Leonard Cohen’s head when recording an album with him.
Worth remembering he died of COVID so a reminder for us all to stay safe out there.

Rocky

Hello decadence
The Ramones said that he had threatened them with guns when they recorded an album with him. I thought it was just hype.
I think it must be true - I was watching the Leonard Cohen film (So Long Marianne) and he mentions Spectre's fascination for guns there and how Spectre pointed a gun at his head.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Allegedly pointed a gun at John Lennon who responded "Shoot me if you want but not until after I'm finished this" (the piece he was writing at the time)

Top Bottom